Chapter 34: Testing the Waters

Waking up to Arron in his arms was a new but definitely welcome thing. He was turned so that his back was against Rylan's chest. He fits perfectly. He took the opportunity to begin running his fingers along his chest and down his belly softly. Sure, he wanted to go lower and grab what was his lion thought belonged to it, but the words from the darn book they'd read the previous evening flashed through his head again, reminding him that cheetah's didn't like that kind of thing. A female lion would be purring for him to take her if he started grabbing at her, but he'd bet that Arron would either scream, shift, or flat out run if he started trying.

Dammit, we really are opposites in almost every way. Well, at least they'd had that moment, and hopefully many more to come. If he got to have Arron, he would shove his lion back as much as he could.

Speaking of him, Arron began to stir a few minutes later, stretching out beneath Rylan's hand before turning onto his back. He could hear the faint sound of rumbling grow as his quiet purring snore started up.

Cute.

N... cute.

Rylan blinked, his eyes widening at the unfamiliar voice in his head.

Did he just?

Smirking, Rylan licked his lips, then thought toward Arron as loud as he could.

Spots!

Arron yelped in surprise as he sat up with a start, panting and looking around the dark room. Rylan probably should have told him that it was just him in his mind, but the guy looked so adorable all scared like that. He couldn't deny all of his lion's instincts. He liked watching prey squirm, but he was trying to get it into his head that Arron wasn't prey and shouldn't be treated like a female lion, either.

This is going to be tough.

Arron calmed down after a moment and flopped back onto the blankets when he realized that he was the one who had startled him.

Hey there, Spots.

His soft golden eyes blinked widened slightly as they stared up at him in the darkness.

Rylan?

Rylan smirked and leaned over, licking his cheek once before leaning back a little. He was completely naked but the navy blue comforter was covering the most important parts.It was probably for the best, though, his lion was already on edge with another male in his bed. It did know that Arron counted more as a female, but that just meant that it wanted to mate him right away.

Thank god he has that collar now.

His thoughts slowly wandered back to Arron's beautiful eyes, and that's when he realized what he was staring at. Rylan had taken his shirt off before they'd gone to bed the previous night but had kept his pants and boxers on. He didn't quite trust himself that much yet, especially with his lion nudging at his conscious. His cheetah seemed to want to push that boundary, too. It had Arron nuzzling against him with his cute little purr going.

Unable to resist, Rylan leaned over with own hum of pleasure and nuzzled his nose into Arron hair.

You smell good, Spots.

Rylan reached forward and gently tilted Arron's head so that he could press a kiss to his soft lips. Except, right as he did so, the guy's mouth got much smaller and fuzzier.

"You just had to shift right then, didn't you?" He grumbled.

A little cheetah with a tail flicking back and forth on the blankets was now sitting in Rylan's lap with a smug look on its face.