Chapter 9: Explanation

Hmm. Something is licking my neck.

"Stop it." Arron grumbled, his voice heavy with sleep.

He tried to push the annoyance away, but whoever was doing it was pretty heavy and didn't even budge. In fact, they actually started licking faster. Gross. Arron really wanted to shove them off, but after a moment the licking began to feel almost comforting. Before he could really stop himself, his chest began to vibrate with a deep purr. When the purring was mirrored by a much deeper, and louder sound a minute later, Arron remembered what was going on, and more importantly, where he was.

Rylan.

The heat between the both of them had his mind going a bit fuzzy. That was the only way the cocky lion shifter was getting him to submit and allow him to do what he was doing right then. If Rylan went lower, though, he was going to get a very hissy wake up call.

Thankfully, he didn't go south, but he did start licking at Arron's soft, messy blond hair. The action made him begin nipping at the hand near his head with quiet growls. He was getting a tiny bit annoyed.

They stayed like that for a few more seconds before Arron felt a lick travel further down to the pulse in his neck. The abrupt attention brought his mind back to the previous evening.

"Rylan?"

A deep growl was Rylan's response to his name being spoken.

"Rylan, snap out of it."

The abrupt sound of shifting was lost to Arron's senses as he felt tendrils of panic throughout his body. He could feel Rylan moving overtop him and settling down, as well as hear him sniffing at his neck rapidly.

"Rylan, don't. I'm a cheetah. A tiny little useless kitten."

His brother had tried the same thing the previous evening but was thankfully stopped when Rylan got through to him. Arron didn't have anyone to get through to Rylan right then, though. Don't you dare draw blood on my neck, you darn lion. My family takes mating bites seriously!

Arron's mind was racing with ideas that might keep Rylan from clamping down on his throat. Obviously telling him the obvious wasn't working, so maybe...

"Rylan! Your dad's watching us!" Arron shouted.

Everything immediately stopped as Rylan yanked his head toward the door and bared his teeth. Arron took his chance at that exact second and turned his body, then kicked his right leg right between Rylan's. He knew that it was a death sentence, but he needed to get out of Rylan's room and had run out of options.

When his leg hit home Rylan snarled and fell onto his side, curling in on himself as he cursed from the pain. Arron took that opportunity and jumped up and out of the bed, then bolted down the hall at full speed. As he turned to take the stairs, he saw a door from the corner of his eye begin to open.

Oh crap, Tarren!

A clawed hand came out of the darkened doorway, but Arron's cat-like reflexes were already taking over, allowing him to duck just in time to avoid getting grabbed. In that moment he could hear Rylan's paws thumping down the hallway carpet and he had no doubt that Terran would be following after him any second, too.

As Arron's hands landed on the third step from the top, he felt his body shift into his kitten form and literally tumble down the long staircase. For once, he didn't mind being in his kitten form, because along with his extra fluff and the carpet on the stairs, he wasn't taking hits nearly as hard as he would be if he was in his human form.