Chapter 14: Cake and Frosting

"That's disgusting!" Arron growled.

He couldn't believe that Rylan had seriously ground up peas into the sauce he'd made. No wonder it had a funny after taste. Arron had just too hungry to question it at the time, but now that he knew, he was quite unhappy.

The look on Rylan's face, while obviously trying to remain perfectly serious and still slightly annoyed, was totally showing just how much he'd loved his stupid little prank.

With a disgusted grumble, Arron headed for the kitchen after tugging on a pair of shorts that had been folded on top of a small stack of clean laundry in a basket by the laundry room. He yanked open the fridge, intent on finding something to get the nasty aftertaste out of his mouth, but what he saw there was honestly surprising.

"A birthday cake?" He said to himself as he stared at it.

His birthday was in two days, but everyone had been so busy and he honestly hadn't thought that they even liked him enough to consider celebrating. The writing on top of the dessert proved him wrong, though.

Happy birthday, Arron. Welcome to the Leo family.

His heart skipped a beat as he read those words over and over again. He was so focused on the dark chocolate fudge cake that he hadn't even noticed Rylan leaning over his shoulder until he opened his mouth to lick his lips.

"That's a good idea, Spots."

Arron turned his head slightly, his nose brushing against Rylan's for a brief second before whispering.

"Huh?"

Rylan decided not to answer him with words and instead leaned forward into the fridge, pushing against Arron's back enough to make him lean over. Even with the chill from the refrigerator, he could feel his face heating up.

"Wait, what are you doing? That's for my birthday." He said, confused as to why Rylan was taking it.

He evidently didn't hear him, or more than likely, didn't care, because he was already walking over to the counter and setting it down so that he could get the plastic lid off. Arron quickly ran over, trying to press the large plastic top back on to keep him from eating it.

"Oh chill, Spots. I'm just gonna have one piece. There will be plenty left for your birthday."

Arron nudged himself between Rylan and the counter before wrapping his arms around the big cake. He half expected Rylan to tease him by pressing him against the counter or something perverted like that, but when his fingers tickled beneath his armpits Arron yelped, trying to get away as fast as he could. Unfortunately, he moved so quickly and abruptly that he accidentally took the cake with him. The lid came off and dropped to the floor right away, but the cake, and their faces, weren't as lucky.

It got Arron first, splattering frosting and chocolate fudge all over his face and hair. The cake was big enough, though, to easily get Rylan, too. He was evidently about to duck, but just wasn't fast enough as Arron heard him growl from the impact and saw him swipe at his face, then shake his head like an annoyed cat.

At first, Arron supposed that it was a bit funny, but when he turned and looked down at the mess of his birthday cake on the floor, he couldn't help but sniffle once.

Rylan was still trying to get the smeared icing off of his face when he heard him.

"Spots?"

Arron pursed his lips and took a deep breath, then looked up. He didn't want to make him mad by ignoring him, but he was pretty upset. That cake had looked delicious, and it had meant so much to him. He'd wanted to enjoy it with his temporary family, but now it would have to be cleaned up and he would probably have to apologize for causing another problem for Jordan.