Chapter 36: Earning a Place

Larro's face was already beginning to change as he stalked toward the bed. He knew that he was overreacting, but his hyena could only think about the idea that the young lion was touching his son. It had already accepted him as family and it did not like a lion anywhere near him. 

Especially in such a physical way. 

His human form could agree with that. He was just about to reach out and grab Arron when he felt an arm wrap around his waist and he was suddenly tossed over Jordan's shoulder.

Unable to help himself, Larro growled, his eyes already dark as his animal sat right beneath the surface of his skin.

"Calm down. They are both wearing clothing." Jordan said.

Larro turned slightly so that he could glare over at Jordan's son who had tossed the blanket covering him aside. Jeans. Larro switched his attention to Arron, who was climbing out of the bed with a blush on his cheeks. He was wearing a sweatshirt that was clearly the other boy's, but at least his pants were his own.

When Jordan noticed that he had calmed down he put Larro back on his feet, allowing him to quickly scoop Arron into his arms. He really wanted to yell at him about being so lovey with a lion, but when the kid started purring loudly he seemed to forget what he'd been angry about and just nuzzled his cheek happily with his own.

"Hey dad."

Arron licked his cheek in return, drawing a smile from Larro, who had finally regained complete control of himself. He glanced over at Jordan and nodded slightly, then turned to head out of the room. Both lions followed on his heels but he didn't mind as long as he had Arron beside him.

As they got downstairs Jordan walked ahead of them and scooped up his wife into a strong hug and gave her a quick kiss.

"Dinner smells wonderful, love." He growled quietly.

He seemed so stern on certain things but the love between the two was easily visible. The thought of having Arron's mother to hug like that... Don't even go there. She just barely trusted him as it were. He needed to earn the basics before he could maybe ask her to dinner. Returning his attention to Arron, Larro pressed a kiss to his hair, then looked over his shoulder at the young lion who was glaring at them.

Sucks that I broke up your make-out session. Come at me, kitty, if you think you can do something about it.

"Dad, this is my boyfriend, Rylan." Arron finally said with a nervous smile up at him.

Larro and Rylan both gawked openly at that.

"You're too young to have a boyfriend!" Larro explained, even though he knew that he definitely wasn't. But a lion! The idea that Rylan would be trying to do anything with his almost not-really son had Larro's hyena pacing angrily in his mind again.

Arron pouted a little but replied without much surprise to his reaction.

"But my body is starting its heat cycle again... or at least that's what the book said."

Arron looked over his shoulder at Rylan and smiled before returning his attention to Larro.

"I like him, and he's been working hard to not treat me like a lion." He added.

Larro was about to tell him no again, but when those little golden eyes met his.

"Please give him a chance?"

That face is cheating!

"Please?" He pleaded.

Dammit. I'm so gullible.