Chapter 13: Fur and Skin

(My rescue dog is finally heartworm free. You can tell that she's happy about it.) 

Arron's mind was still not wanting to register what they were telling it. His mother was his mother and his father was his father. That's how it worked. Of course, he knew that there were some shifters who could reproduce with members of the same sex, but that was ridiculously rare and wouldn't happen to him. His family was normal besides his stunted growth.

When they got to the vet, Arron was still out of it and didn't bother swatting at Rylan for carrying him into the office with his lion's teeth. The vet was just signing out his last patient when he noticed them.

"I have a feeling something went wrong?" He asked.

Jordan wrote Arron's name down on the sign in sheet, then nodded as he faced the vet.

"We need a disruption pill."

The vet's eyes widened as his pen paused on the chart he'd just gotten out.

"A disruption pill? Why would he need such a thing?"

Jordan cut straight to the chase, but thankfully they were the only ones left in the office besides the vet.

"He had sex with a guy and stopped producing pheromones. We called his mother asking if this has happened before, and she said no, but that his father was a rare cross-shifter."

That seemed to get the man's attention. He quickly jotted down several quick notes before turning and motioning for them to follow him to an examination room. Jordan took Arron from Rylan once inside after a slight growling match, which Rylan obviously lost. He then set Arron down on the cold examination table.

"Alright, I got it." The vet said after digging through some packages in one of the drawers next to the sink in the small room.

He took the small pill out of its wrapping and pressed it against Arron's lips.

"Open up. Just a quick pill, then we're done."

While Arron didn't mind pills and took whatever his mother told him to, the current situation just didn't feel right. His instincts were on overdrive telling him to keep his mouth shut, even though he definitely didn't want, nor could he afford, a kid right then.

"Arron, come on. It won't hurt or anything. It'll just stop anything that might be happening that wasn't supposed to."

When the vet pulled his hand away, Arron hissed. His animal side didn't want anything to do with the pill.

"Jordan, can you hold him please?" The vet said as he turned around and did something with his hands and the pill. When he turned back around, Arron was already in Jordan's arms with his scruff held tightly. Aw, man, is that peanut butter? That stuff was a pain to spit out. He remembered his mother having always put his pills in that stuff when he was young because he tended to spit them out without knowing that they were helpful.

"Alright, let's get this finished." The vet said as he grabbed a tongue depressor and gently forced Arron's mouth open. His cheetah bit the thin piece of wood repeatedly, but it wouldn't break.

The man was quick with the coated pill and had it stuck in the back of Arron's mouth with the peanut butter before he could react any further. His cheetah immediately opened its mouth wide and shook its head, trying to dislodge the glob of food.

It felt like it was finally coming loose when a sudden deafening roar forced his cheetah to pause abruptly, startled by the loud noise. It didn't get a chance to even turn and look at Rylan, who had caused it, because the boy's hands were already clamping down on his mouth. He didn't hold back any force, either. Arron couldn't stop himself from accidentally biting his own tongue.