Watching

Chapter song: Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell

"Where does Frank live?" The man asked.

Lena gave him a sly look, "Look, I don't know your name, you've only given me coffee which tastes like crap."

He nodded his head as he took another sip from his mug. "Ok, there's creamer in the back room." He pointed to a kitchen and Lena made her way there. "Also, my name is David Lieberman. Now can you tell me where Frank is?"

"Hold on David. I don't have a place to live anymore and I see you have extra cots, so..." She surprised him with her amount of comfort she had in an abandoned basement with a stranger.

He rolled his eyes, "Yes, you can stay, plus I'll need your help so that works. Now can you tell me where Frank lives?"

She stalled for as long as she could, "We were only work partners, I have no idea about Pete's personal life, all I know is that he just hits a wall with a sledgehammer. That was all he ever did." She took another sip from her coffee. "Plus what is this for? You can't just ask me questions and think that I wouldn't be suspicious."

He sighed and leaned farther back in his chair. "You're familiar with the name Frank Castle right?"

"Not until now."

"Frank Castle's family was killed. Ever since he has killed everyone who was involved, he got caught and that's why he changed his name to Pete. I want to know about Frank so that we can work together."

"Wait, so you want to work with a serial killer?" She dumped the coffee down the sink unsatisfied that the creamer didn't work.

David nodded, "Yes. But the same people who killed his family tried to kill me. Technically David Lieberman is dead. For as long as the records say I'm dead I can't reunite with my family."

Lena nodded her head, "So why am I here, I didn't know Frank, I knew Pete."

"Yes, I realize that now but looking at your records you may have an advantage on him." David turned to his computer and typed her name into the system.

A couple of files popped up, the longest file was titled Hell's Kitchen Orphanage.

"Says that you were at the orphanage since you were eight and you left when you were-"

Lena stopped him before he could read anymore, "Ok, what do we need to do to get Frank?"

"For now we watch." He replied.

~

"Lena wake up." David hit the desk with his hand and Lena sprang up from her cot. "I'm gonna talk to him. You're gonna have to watch the security cameras to make sure I'm ok."

David stood up and walked over to where Lena had her car parked. She sat in his chair and watched on the monitor as a man with a duffel bag walked into a cafe.

By now David and Lena had a small amount of trust in each other. For the past couple of days, they watched as Frank killed a gang in the basement of an Italian restaurant, they assumed they were connected to his families death someway.

Lena switched to the camera of David's family home. She assumed that everyone was already at school or work considering the house was empty.

She switched back to the cafe and saw David standing on top of the building as he was talking on the phone. Not too long after he hung up, the man with the duffel bag came out. She paused the camera and zoomed in to see that it was Frank Castle.

Ten minutes later David came back to the basement and reclaimed his office chair.

~

Lena was woken up by David's frantic mumbles, "Can't you be any louder?" She said as she got up, she saw David pacing around the computers.

"Look, Lena, Frank's at my wife's house, I better go." David took off his robe and put on a black hoodie and a pair of sunglasses.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, what if you get caught?" She asked but never got a reply.

Once David got back he went straight to his computers. He watched as Frank displayed a friendly smile as he fixed David's wife's garage door.

"Lieberman, he's just trying to get in your head and make you second guess yourself." Lena tried to reassure him.

"Yeah I know, but what if he's getting close to Sarah to kill her." His pacing continued.

Lena sighed and gave a silent chuckle, "He's not going to kill your wife."

~

"I'm leaving to meet him, I'll be back soon." David went to the exit leaving Lena in the basement.

She sat there for a while until her desire for a good coffee hit. Lena got up and got her jacket on and left the basement. She walked to the nearest store which wasn't close by.

Lena walked through the aisles until she found some vanilla coffee grounds. She got some frozen dinners for there was nothing to eat.

Lena walked to a coffee shop nearby to get her and David a hot chocolate.

She made her way back to the basement with her hands full of goods. She opened the door that led to their makeshift hideout.

"Lieberman! I got some hot chocolate." She called as she closed the door behind her. When she looked at David's usual spot she saw that there was a tall man that fit the description of Frank Castle.