Death Duo

Just before the man in red woke up, Frank taped a gun in his hands, "You think its too risky?" Frank asked Lena.

"No, the way he talks about guilty people he won't pull the trigger." She responded.

The man stirred awake, startled by the gun he forcibly held in his hand. He looked to Lena then Frank, they both stood over him, their faces glared emotionless. 

"Hey Red," Lena spoke.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" The man asked.

"Shoot me," Frank spoke.

The man scoffed, "Come on Frank, I'm not gonna shoot you."

Frank huffed then nodded at Lena, she walked behind the corner and grabbed Grotto. She sat him down next to Frank and ripped the tape off his mouth. Blood kept falling on his white button-up as he begged for mercy.

"Say hello to Elliot Grote, better known as Grotto," Frank said as he grabbed his collar and started to kick him. "Caught him stealing cars."

"Aw! C'mon Frank! Your mad because he was running away? Because he was scared?!" Red yelled.

"Tell him what you did a couple of months ago!" Frank told Grotto.

Lena though back, a couple of months ago she was in Wisconsin burning down her childhood home. Was Frank still keeping tabs on New York?

"I-I killed some old lady. S-She saw me k-kill a guy and I just had too." Grotto barely got out the words.

"No Grotto." Red sighed.

Frank grew more violent, "You see! You see what I've been telling you this entire fucking time, Red!"

"It doesn't mean you need to kill him, Frank."

"Fine." Frank grabbed Grotto off the ground and made him stand. Frank pulled a gun out of his waistband and cocked it back, aiming it at Grotto's head.

"Oh God, please save me!" Grotto pled.

Just before Frank pulled the trigger Red had shot the chains that held him. The chains broke and he sprinted at Frank pushing him into a concrete wall leaving him stunned.

Lena grabbed her gun from her waistband and caught Grotto just before he could runoff. She held her gun to Grotto's head as Red started to run towards her. Just before Red ran into her, she pulled the trigger killing Grotto on the spot.

The man swung at her, giving her a bloody nose. She punched back but Red punched her square in the face making her go unconscious.

Frank ran towards the man, anger from his escape and his attack on Lena boiled out. Frank pushed Red into the concrete wall making him stunned but he recovered quickly. He grabbed the chain sitting at their feet and wrapped it around Frank's neck.

"Your gonna regret that Red." Frank was looking at an unconscious Lena.

The man tightened the chain, "I'm sure I will." Frank grunted then Red slammed his head into the wall, knocking him out.

The man picked up Frank and Lena and rushed them down the stairs. He stood in front of an elevator and repeatedly pressed the button. Once inside he set the two on the elevator floor giving a sigh of relief that the weight was lifted.

Once the doors opened again, the man left, leaving the two in the elevator.

Frank and Lena woke up shortly after the Devil of Hell's Kitchen left. They looked at each other trying to regain themselves.

Lena stood up abruptly causing Frank to put his hand on her leg. "Slow down." He mumbled.

Lena set her hand on her forehead then sat back down, practically falling. "H-he got away Frank."

"Yea, but Grotto is dealt with," Frank said as he slowly started to get up. He held out his hand once he got to a full stand and Lena took it. "You okay?" He asked once she stood.

"Yea, just... I don't know, my head is pounding." She mumbled.

They started their way out of the building. "It's not your fault."

"I could've killed him."

"Me too."

To say they were disappointed was an understatement. They were mad at themselves and unhappy. They used to be the duo that was nicknamed Death. But now they could only tell themselves to try and hope to win. 

Lena sighed, "I could use some tequila." Frank nodded and with that they walked to the nearest bar. Blood was smeared on their faces but no one cared.

Lena got her tequila and Frank got a shot of vodka. By one in the morning, Lena was tipsy but still disappointed. 

Frank walked as if he had a destination in mind. As a bigger guy, it would take more than one shot to get him close to tipsy. Lena followed him, she was curious but didn't ask where they were going.

They walked and walked and walked until the cemetery. It was one in the morning at a cemetery. She didn't want to bring attention to her superstitions, she was even more curious at this point. 

They walked up a hill and Frank stopped in front of three gravestones. Lena stood next to him and read them. "Maria Castle, loving mother, and wife." "Frank Castle Jr., the smiling son." and lastly, "Lisa Castle, daddy's little girl.".

Lena wrapped her hand around Frank's, it didn't feel right. Why did I have to follow him here, this isn't for me. I'm just invading his privacy.  She let go of his hand and turned to leave, she turned back to see Frank staring at the gravestones still. When she looked in front of her she saw him. Red.

"The cops are on their way so don't try running." He said.

This made Frank turn around. He sighed, "Go Lena."

Red and Lena looked at him with anger; except different kinds, "Why?" Lena asked.

"I don't want you to get caught." He was emotionless.

Lena bit down on her cheeks, tasting blood, "What if I wanna get caught," she was tipsy and mad, "what if I'm tired of hiding Frank? Because I am, I'm tired of being a shadow." Sirens were heard.

"Go Lena." This time it was sterner.

Her nose flared, "No Frank! You should go, I'm the one that killed Grotto!"

He was mad that she was right. He was too proud to walk away. The lights that belonged to the sirens pulled up. "Go home." Frank mouthed.

"Watch me." Lena took Frank's pistol and shot it in the air. Cops rushed towards her and put cuffs on her. She never lost eye contact with him as she was stuffed in a cop car.

Frank was soon detained as well, he was alone in a car left with his thoughts. Left to think of how stupid Lena acted and how stupid he was to provoke her.