Candy

Moritz had already fallen asleep. His hand still handcuffed to the table. Lena and Frank sat on the couch watching tv as the New York lights shimmered in the night sky. That day everyone just hung out at Madani's house and watched Moritz, getting more information.

Frank glanced at the clock, midnight. He then took a look at Lena who was fighting to keep her eyes open. He watched as she fluttered her eyes until they closed leading into her temporary unconsciousness. 

She looked peaceful. Almost like the world hadn't yet caused her any trauma. Even though that wasn't the case. The lights of New York showed on her face, pretty shades of blue and yellow made her skin seem almost too delicate to touch. 

Frank turned his gaze toward the tv, already having enough sleep to last him another 24 hours. He searched through the channel's until he landed on Looney Toons. He remembered that he would turn the show on for Lisa and Frankie every morning Maria would make everyone breakfast. He missed it.

It has been an hour since Lena had fallen asleep. Frank stayed awake, being a Marine he made his sleeping schedule sparse. Moritz had stirred a little, he mumbled something in German then slipped into his deep sleep again.

Frank glanced over at Lena. She had sweat droplets running down her forehead. Her head twitched vigorously. "Lena," Frank said softly but she didn't acknowledge it. He looked at Moritz, "Lena." He rose his voice higher this time. "Lena!" He shouted with a touch of a whisper.

She woke up. She was panting as she looked around at her surroundings. Once her vision became clear she saw Frank, she gave a sigh of relief. Lena had set her head in her hands. Frank only stared at her, his face plastered with worry. 

Once Lena accidentally let out small whimpers Frank dropped his tough-guy personality. He set his hand on her back. "It's okay. Your safe Lena."

She put her head up quickly wiping the tears away, "We're here because of Russo aren't we?" she asked. Frank nodded his head. Lena sighed, "Sometimes my dreams are horrible, they're about Rawlins and my uncle but other times they're about Russo when we were kids. I remember him and seeing him today as a liar and a manipulative person. It hurts the most to see a brother turn cold." Tears formed in her eyes, "Last time I saw him, he knocked me out, he had no remorse, Frank. I didn't see Billy, I saw a robot that was controlled by the wrong people."

She wiped the tears away and Frank pulled her into a hug, "I know, I know Lena, he's changed. But all we can do is to stop him from changing anymore. To stop him from hurting more people."

She leaned into Frank, feeling his strength but in the most calming way. "I wish I knew what made him like this. I'm not sure if it was the Marines or the change in the world when he came back from tour. I just wish I knew."

 "Sleep, you need it." Frank got up and started to crawl on the floor.

Lena, missing his warmth and how the vibrations went through her body when he spoke, "You should come up here."

Frank did as she asked and laid on the couch next to her. He wrapped his arm around her slim waist to keep her from falling off. Not soon after Lena had fallen asleep. It was obvious it was the first time she really felt safe.

~

As Lena was making coffee for her, Frank, and Moritz, Rachel had started hitting on the door, "Let me out! Unlock this door right now!" She yelled.

Frank went to the door and unlocked it, "Easy kid." He mumbled when she came out.

She was full of aggression, she pushed on Frank's chest. "Don't you ever lock me in again!" She pushed him again. "Don't you ever do that again!" This time she slapped him but he gave no reaction. Lena had set down the coffees and started racing toward Frank, "Never again, don't you-" Rachel had been cut off when Lena shoved her up against the wall.

"You better watch yourself before you make things more ugly." Lena didn't yell but she had a stern voice.

Frank tore Lena off of Rachel, "Hey, hey, calm down, it's fine." 

Lena had turned to him, "No! It's not fine! We protect her, we give her food, shelter. What does she do? Give us shit even though we had a choice to leave her with those cops. I'm leaving!" She walked out the door. But then came back, "And I'm taking Moritz!" She undid the teens handcuff and took him out the door.

Once Lena left, Frank sighed, "I'm sorry." He spoke.

"No," Rachel said in a soft tone, "That was stupid of me."

"Wanna talk?" 

Rachel sat on the couch and started to talk about her story which was also traumatic just like Lena's and Frank's stories.

Lena had called a taxi, "Nearest store, please." She said to the driver. She turned to Moritz, "Well... Welcome to New York." She put on a fake grin as Mortiz nodded his head. "I can't wait. Your gonna try so many things. Oh my god! I can't wait for you to try a warhead, your face is gonna scrunch up."

Moritz tilted his head to the right, "Slow." 

Lena had gotten the message for she was speaking quite fast for someone who wasn't fluent in English. "Candy, you get to try some new ones."

"We're here." The taxi driver said.

"Thank you." Lena mumbled as she opened the door and led the way into a grocery store.

As the two walked into the grocery store Lena made sure to grab a basket. She pointed Moritz into the candy aisle. He looked up the shelf of the colorful colors with brand names that one couldn't forget.

"Whoa," Was the only thing Moritz could muster before Lena handed him the basket.

She took a breath, "Warheads." She picked up the package and put it in the basket. She did this with every candy she put in the carrier. It started with Warheads then Red Vines, Tootsie Rolls, Swedish Fish, Mike and Ike, Laffy Taffy, Dots, Jolly Ranchers, Razzles, gummy hotdogs, and Hi-Chews.

They had gotten a taxi back to Madani's apartment. When they walked in they had Red Vines sticking out of their mouths as they laughed carelessly. When the two looked around at their surroundings Madani was yelling at Frank. 

Lena and Moritz had almost walked back out the door but Madani had started yelling at Lena too. "And you! I told you to stay here and you come back with candy! A-a-and who is this?!" She pointed to Moritz.

"Who?" Lena said stupidly, it felt like Moritz was with them this entire time. It felt like he belonged.

Madani huffed, "I can't anymore Frank!"

Just when things couldn't get any worse, Moritz had gotten a text on his phone. He read it out loud, "Waiting for Castle at Turk's place." Moritz looked up, "Another text, 'Don't forget to kill him'."

Madani looked at Frank, "Your making my problems with Russo worse! You're bringing your own trouble where it shouldn't be!" She rubbed her face, "All of you. I want all of you out of New York in 24 hours." She left, letting the door slam behind her.

Everyone looked at each other. Shock plastered on their faces as they all let out sighs.