Four

Sam returns shortly, tossing a small bag onto the table.

"So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie."

Roxanne's brows raise. "What do you mean?"

Sam sits down on the bed next to Dean. He looks at Roxanne for a moment before continuing.

"I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there... Will Carlton is dead."

Dean tilts his head. "He drowned?"

"Yep. In the sink."

Dean scowls. "What the hell? So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else."

"Yeah, but what?"

"I don't know," Dean says. "Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water... water that comes from the same source."

Sam nods. "The lake."

"Yeah."

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count," Sam realizes. "The lake is draining. It'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time."

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere."

Dean stands up, running a hand through his perfectly messy hair.

"This is gonna happen again soon."

He sits down in a nearby chair, pulling his boots on. Roxanne grabs a jacket.

"And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton."

Dean nods. "Yeah, it took both his kids."

"And I've been asking around. Lucas's dad, Chris- Bill Carlton's godson."

The wheels have been turning in Roxanne's head, and she thinks all signs are pointing to a vengeful spirit. But she's not entirely sure. She is, however, sure that Dean will immediately dismiss her ideas out of spite. So she keeps her mouth shut.

Dean nods. "Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit."

- - - -

Bill Carlton is sitting on the bench on the dock when the hunters arrive. Sam takes the lead, and Roxanne follows closely behind Dean.

"Mr. Carlton?"

The man looks up, a tired, haggard look on his face. Roxanne frowns.

Sam smiles gently. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind."

Dean takes over. "We're from the, the Department-"

"I don't care who you're with. I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake," Sam continues, his need for answers nearly overwhelming. "What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death- we think there might be a connection to you or your family."

Bill only stares at him. "My children are gone. It's... It's worse than dying..."

He looks up at the hunters through tearful eyes.

"Go away. Please."

Roxanne watches him for a moment. Out of the three, she's the only one that understands what it's like. She knows that pain. To have the life of a loved one ripped away, all too young. The loved ones you are supposed to protect.