Nineteen

"Alright, I've been cruisin' some websites. I think I found a few candidates for our next gig. A fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali. Its crew vanished. And, uh, we got some cattle mutilations in West Texas."

"Ooh, I vote the cattle mutilations," Roxanne gets up from her bed, moving to sit next to Dean.

He stares at her for a moment. "You are literally the only person I know who gets excited by cattle mutilations."

"Well, where there are cattle mutilations, there are often demons."

He shakes his head. "Okay, so possible demons or a disappearing ship crew... Hey."

Sam looks up from the tree he's been sketching, eyebrows raised. Dean scowls.

"Am I boring you with this hunting evil stuff?"

"No. I'm listening. Keep going."

"And, here, a Sacramento man shot himself in the head. Three times."

Dean waves his hand, frowning as Sam continues to focus on his drawing.

"Any of these things blowin' up your skirt, pal?"

"Wait. I've seen this," Sam ignores his brother.

"Seen what?"

Sam gets up from the bed and starts rifling through Dean's duffel. Roxanne and Dean exchange a look, and she merely shrugs.

"What are you doing?" Dean asks.

Sam finds the photo he's been looking for. He stares at the familiar faces, then compares the tree in the background to his drawing.

"Guys, I know where we have to go next."

"Where?" Roxanne asks.

"Back home. Back to Kansas."

Dean stares at Sam blankly. "Okay, random. Where'd that come from?"

Sam moves to the table, holding the photo out to Dean and Roxanne. She leans forward, eyes scanning the picture.

"Alright, um, this photo was taken in front of our old house, right? The house where Mom died?"

"Yeah."

"And it didn't burn down, right? I mean, not completely. They rebuilt it, right?"

"I guess so, yeah," Dean shrugs. "What the hell are you talkin' about?"

"Okay, look. This is gonna sound crazy but... The people who live in our old house... I think they might be in danger."

"Why would you think that?"

Sam meets Roxanne's eyes, and she smiles reassuringly. She already knows about his nightmares. And she already figured out that's what's happening now.

"Uh... It's just, um... Look, just trust me on this, okay?"

As Sam starts to walk away, Dean gets up to follow him. Roxanne leans back slightly in her chair, letting the brothers work this out for themselves.

"Wait, whoa, whoa. Trust you?"

"Yeah."

"Come on, man, that's weak. You gotta give me a little bit more than that," Dean protests.

"I can't really explain it is all."

"Well, tough. I'm not going anywhere until you do."

Sam sighs, relenting. Dean waits, eyebrows raised.

"I have these nightmares."

Dean nods, eyebrows raised. "I've noticed."

"And sometimes... they come true."