Twenty

Jenny answers the door, clutching Ritchie tightly after discovering him locked in the fridge. Her heart still pounds in her chest as her eyes fall on the visitors.

"Roxanne, Sam, Dean. What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Jenny. Um, this is our friend, Missouri."

Missouri smiles, and Jenny gives a tight smile in greeting.

"If it's not too much trouble, we were hoping to show her the old house. You know, for old time's sake," Dean nods.

"You know, this isn't a good time. I'm kind of busy," Jenny frowns, turning away.

"Listen, Jenny, it's important."

Missouri smacks the back of Dean's head, and he grunts.

"Give the poor girl a break, can't you see she's upset?" Missouri scolds him before turning to Jenny. "Forgive this boy. He means well; he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed. But hear me out."

"About what?"

"About this house," Missouri raises her eyebrows.

"What are you talking about?"

"I think you know what I'm talking about. You think there's something in this house, something that wants to hurt your family. Am I mistaken?"

Jenny shakes her head. "Who are you?"

"We're people who can help, who can stop this thing. But you're gonna have to trust us. Just a little."

Jenny looks to Roxanne, and she nods in agreement.

Minutes later, the hunters follow Missouri up the stairs and into Sari's bedroom.

"If there's a dark energy around here, this room should be the center of it," Missouri walks around the room, hands out.

Sam watches her in confusion. "Why?"

"This used to be your nursery, Sam. This is where it all happened."

Sam glances at the ceiling, and Dean struggles to keep his eyes from watering. He may not remember much, but he remembers more than he let on. He stares at the spot where he saw his mom on the ceiling, and his chest feels hollow. All these years, and it still hurts so badly.

Roxanne hesitantly slides her hand against his, giving it a gentle squeeze. She allows herself to be open to his emotions, and his intense fear, pain, and grief flood her senses. Dean's wild eyes snap to hers, and she offers a smile. He blinks, taking a deep breath. Roxanne is here, and she doesn't have an emotional connection to this case. It's enough to keep him grounded and let him know it'll all be okay.

Dean squeezes her hand, then pulls away. He pulls out his EMF, and Missouri looks at him skeptically.

"That an EMF?"

Roxanne feels a tugging sensation, and she closes her eyes to focus in on the direction it's coming from. When she opens her eyes, she sees the closet door.

"Yeah," Dean responds.

"Amateur."

Dean sends the psychic a glare, then turns to Sam to show him the EMF reading.

Missouri pauses at the desk, her hand hovering over it. "I don't know if you boys should be disappointed or relieved, but this ain't the thing that took your mom."

"Wait, are you sure?" Sam asks, frowning when she nods. "How do you know?"

"It isn't the same energy I felt the last time I was here. It's somethin' different."