Six

When Sam woke after only an hour of sleep, his tossing and turning had woken Roxanne. She had the idea to go out early and get breakfast. She figured if they couldn't sleep anyway, they may as well do something productive.

The last week with the brothers was actually very nice. They hadn't found a case yet, so she had spent the time resting up and getting to know them better.

She opens the door for Sam, who carries the pastries and coffees. They've become almost inseparable, and he insists on doing everything for her if considered even moderately strenuous. This irritates her, sure, but she lets him do it anyway. If it makes him feel better, why not? Not to mention she just doesn't feel like arguing over it.

Sam pauses just inside the doorway, turning back to glance at Roxanne. He mouths the words, 'He's still asleep.' She grins, and even though she's very tempted, she decides she won't startle the hunter awake. She thinks he might really need the sleep. Of course, she also doesn't feel like getting punched. At least not until after her ribs have healed.

The two walk past the privacy window and into the room. Dean lies sprawled on his stomach in a t-shirt and boxer briefs, the comforter kicked down to the foot of the bed. He glances at them and releases his grip on what Roxanne knows to be a rather large knife under his pillow.

"Morning, sunshine," Sam grins.

"What time is it?" Dean groans.

"Uh, it's about five forty-five," Roxanne answers, glancing at her watch.

"In the morning?"

Sam nods. "Yep."

"Where does the day go?"

The oldest hunter props himself up on his elbow, glancing between the other two.

"Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah," Sam lies. "I grabbed a couple hours."

"Liar." Dean sits up. "Cause I was up at three. Roxanne was passed out, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial."

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV."

Roxanne snorts, taking a sip of her coffee.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?"

"I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is."

Sam scoffs. "Look, I appreciate your concern, but-"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you," Dean cuts him off. "It's your job to keep our asses alive, so I need you sharp."

Sam only shrugs, drinking his coffee. Roxanne perches on the table, the tension already bothering her.

"Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

"Dean, really, he-"

"Oh, no, sweetheart. I'm talking to my brother. It's a family matter."

Roxanne scowls. Sam crosses the room and sits on the other bed, handing a coffee off to Dean.

"Yeah, it's Jess. But it's not just her. It's everything... I just forgot, you know? This job... Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it," Dean sips at his coffee. "You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what? All this, it... never keeps you up at night?"

Dean shakes his head. Roxanne laughs harshly.

"Of course not," she mocks, strolling toward the brothers. "He's Dean Winchester. The fearless, the mighty."