Fourteen

The hunters got some fast food for dinner, and Sam and Roxanne settle into bed around eleven. Dean sits in a chair, watching tv with a beer.

"So you think we can get him off the hook?" Roxanne asks softly.

"I don't know. But I have to try."

She nods. "We'll figure it out."

Sam smiles, looking over at the brunette lying next to him.

"Thank you for going along with this. I know it's kind of a lot to ask."

"It's a case like any other."

"What, I don't get a thank you?" Dean looks over his shoulder at the two. "I'm the one who drove your asses out here."

Sam rolls his eyes. "And you complained the whole way."

"Did not."

"Did, too."

Roxanne sighs. "Alright, children. Break it up."

Dean scowls. "You can't act like I'm the unreasonable one after you tried to be a dog whisperer earlier."

Without another word, he stalks out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Roxanne turns to look at Sam, a cheeky grin on her face.

"Mr. Grumpy Pants."

Sam chuckles. But the happy mood is short-lived as Roxanne brings up a rather sensitive topic.

"Are you doing okay? With the last case, and the whole Jessica thing..."

Sam looks down, fidgeting with the blanket to avoid her gaze.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

"But okay isn't good."

"No, it's not."

It's quiet for a moment, and then Sam clears his throat.

"What about you? I was really worried about you over Christmas."

"I'm okay."

Sam looks over to her, meeting her blue eyes in the lamplight.

"Well, if you're ever not okay, you can talk to me."

She smiles. "Back at ya."

He nods, looking back down to the blanket. Roxanne studies him, her heart heavy. She doesn't have to touch him to know that he's hurting. And she desperately wants to alleviate his pain, but she can't.

"Bloody Mary was right, you know."

"About what?"

"When... When she said I dreamt about Jessica's death for weeks before it happened..."

Roxanne sighs. "You couldn't have done anything, Sam."

"I could've warned her. I could've gotten her far away from me."

"And then what? She wouldn't have been prepared to face whatever killed her."

A tear rolls down his cheek, and he hurriedly wipes it away. His cheeks turn red, and Roxanne props herself up on her elbow.

"If you're gonna play the 'what if' game, play it all the way through. What could you have possibly done?"

"I don't know. But anything is better than nothing..."

She reaches out, grabbing his hand. He looks up at her, eyes watering.

"I'm a freak, Roxanne. I don't know what's happening to me. But I'm having these nightmares, and they're coming true. It's my fault."