Twelve

December 18th approaches before Roxanne is ready. This time of year is always hard for her, and this year will be no different. In fact, this year may be even worse.

Being in a random motel room with two hunters is a painful reminder of what she's lost. She's not normal anymore- never was, really. She used to love Christmas. Everything about it- the lights, the trees, the hot chocolate and sappy movies, and the way people were just nicer to each other- she loved.

But losing her family just days before Christmas was devastating. How was she supposed to celebrate and be happy when she could barely drag herself out of bed? How was the world just going to keep turning?

"Denning, let's go. Get moving."

Roxanne doesn't even look at Dean. Things have been different since their talk on the Bloody Mary case. He's softer with her, more understanding. He pays more attention to the way she acts, especially if she's being reckless.

Roxanne slept next to Sam last night, but she barely got any shuteye. Even now, she just stares at the wall, avoiding the brothers and any other reminder of the turn her life has taken.

"Up and at 'em, sweetheart. I wanna beat the church crowd to the diner," Dean tries again.

Roxanne continues to focus on that tiny dent in the wall, her brow furrowed. She needs something- anything- to take her mind off of this. Maybe getting food with the brothers will help her get back on track.

She shakes her head, as if clearing her mind, then gets up and stalks past Dean. She grabs her jacket, then heads out the door without another word. Dean and Sam exchange a glance, and the younger only shrugs.

"I don't know."

Dean frowns, and as they make their way out to Baby, he sees that Roxanne is already sitting in the backseat. She doesn't say anything when they get in. She doesn't say anything when they get to the diner, either.

She trails behind the Winchesters, her gaze absent. Her eyes fall on a couple in the corner, laughing and talking over their breakfast. They seem so happy.

She was happy like that once. Jake sometimes took her to his diner in the mornings to make her pancakes. They'd be in special shapes- hearts mostly.

But after that one awful fight before Caleb came along, he dragged her to the restaurant at four in the morning. She was sleepy and grumpy, but all that melted away when he slid a plate in front of her. Pancakes that spelled out "I'm sorry." He surprised her that day, and it seemed he never stopped surprising her.

She realizes she's still standing there when Sam calls her back to reality. She sits down with mechanical movements, and the brothers do their best to brush off her mood.

Somehow needing the comfort after seeing that couple, Roxanne decides she needs food. She eats a breakfast platter, pancakes, and an extra side of hashbrowns. As the brothers talk throughout their meal, she continues to quickly work through her plates.

"I just don't understand why Dad won't just let us know where he is."

"I'm sure he's-"

"He's what?"

Dean doesn't answer, instead watching as Roxanne downs the rest of her coffee and continues to eat rather quickly. He thinks about suggesting that she slow down, but when he opens his mouth, Sam shakes his head subtly.

Sam returns his gaze to Roxanne, frowning as he watches the way she eats. It's like she's trying to eat as much as she can as quickly as possible. She's going to make herself sick, but she's been avoiding them thus far. She'll just ignore the warning and keep going.