Thirty-Six

After working a case on a family of hillbilly serial killers, Roxanne felt she could officially say she'd seen it all. It had been just awful. Sam was kidnapped, then she and Dean convinced a deputy to help them find him. Then Dean got attacked and tied up, and when Roxanne went to help him, she also was attacked before being thrown in with Sam and the deputy.

They eventually managed to overpower the rednecks, and the deputy shot the father. Of course, Roxanne lied for her. Only when Dean asked her later that night did she tell him the truth.

It's occurred to him that there is something dark about her. Maybe his knowledge of her past has changed his opinion of her, but he always thought of her as good and pure. She can't be too pure, or she wouldn't have lied about the killing.

And somehow, that made her even better.

He didn't have to hide or be ashamed around her. They bore their souls to each other, which was amazing in its own right.

Soon after, they had moved onto the next case, piecing together a number of killings.

Now, Roxanne sits at a table alone, watching Dean flirt with the gorgeous bartender. She's extremely conflicted, narrowing her eyes as she takes a sip of her whiskey. She may be a little jealous; the bartender is beautiful and young. But it's simple flirting. There's nothing wrong with that, and she and Dean aren't exactly together anyway. Besides, she knows how the fling would end. Dean would hit the road and never look back, just like always.

But then, that doesn't mean his flings don't feel like a knife in her chest.

Her phone rings, and she flips it open quickly.

"Roxanne."

"Hey, Roxanne. It's Carson."

"Hey, Carson!" She smiles over the noise of the bar. "How are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

She looks away from the bar, away from Dean. "Good. What's up?"

"I'm just calling to check in. See how you're doing. Have you found that John Winchester guy?"

She frowns. "Not yet. Got any leads for me?"

"Unfortunately, no. But I'm glad to hear you're doing well. And uh... Oh, uh, hey. Levi wants to talk to you."

"Oh, uh-"

There's a short moment of shuffling on the other end of the line.

"Hey, Roxanne?"

She smiles. "Hi, Levi."

"What's up?"

"Oh, you know... Hunting," she says awkwardly.

"Yeah... Oh, I started taking some lessons from Carson."

Roxanne winces. "Oh, no. Levi-"

"Relax, I'm not a wannabe hunter. That whole night just kinda freaked me out. I wanna be ready if something ever happens again."

"Well, hopefully it won't. Most people live their whole lives without an encounter. I'm sure you've got a long and happy life ahead of ya."