The Fight

Melissa's POV

"Why didn't you tell us?" Katie asked.

"Because I didn't want you to treat me differently when you found out that I should not be alive!" I replied.

"Melissa," Abigail said calmly, "we will never treat you differently because you are his daughter."

"Yeah," Katie continued. "We are your friends. I am your family. Even without all the gods."

Wow, I totally forgot that Katie is my cousin. I guess all that has been happening, it slipped my mind.

"Thank that you guys got here in time," Pan said. "My enemy has risen. My bane. The giant born to oppose me."

"I thought all the giants were killed in the last Giant War," Katie wondered out loud.

"Well," Pan started, "I faded before the Second Giant War so my giant faded too. But when I came back, so did he."

"That makes sense-" I said before I was interrupted by a loud voice.

"Well Well well, look who do we have here?" boomed the voice. The owner stepped into the light.

It was Gan, the bane of Pan. He was smaller than the average giant.

"Look do we have here," Gan shouted. "A satyr, a child of Demeter, and the first ever daughter of Pan."

"LEAVE MY FATHER ALONE!" I yelled at the top of my lungs and drew my knife. Pan smiled warmly at the fact I called him father.

"Ummm, no," was all he said.

"Go!" I commanded my fellow questers.

Abigail pulled out her reed pipes and started playing the same tune I played when we first met Addie. I smiled at the thought of Addie. Katie took out some seeds and willed them to grow. Gan was trapped by roots.

"Melissa," Katie called out to me. "We cannot hold him much longer.

I turned to Pan. "A god and demigod can kill a giant."

"Let's do it," he said.

Too late. Gan escaped his thorny prison. He pulled out a larger-scale knife of mine.

He sent the knife heading toward Katie. For some reason, new energy came flowing through me. I ran as fast as I could towards her and pushed her away. But I got hit in the back. Warm blood came out of the wound onto my clothes.

"Melissa," Katie cried. "Are you okay?!"

"I am fine. Let's finish this fight!" I yelled.

Pan pulled out his own reed pipes and started playing. Thorny, thick roots cameo shooting out of the ground. I became dizzy from blood lost. But I pulled out my knife and threw it. It hit right in between his eyes and Gan turned into golden dust. At the same time, I dropped to the ground.

"MELISSA!" Abigail, Pan, and Katie shouted at the same time.

"No, no," Katie cried. "Where is ambrosia? Where is nectar?"

We left out backpacks outside with all our supplies.

"Katie," I rasped. "Move on. Tell Mom my story. Tell camp my story. Tell them that Pan is my father. Tell Artemis I would have joined the Hunters if I didn't die. Tell Addie I am sorry." I turned towards Abigail. "It was an honor fighting alongside you."

"No Melissa," she whispered.

"Dad," I said. "I am proud to be your father."

I took my final breath and closed my eyes for the last time.

Third Person POV

"NOOOO!" Katie yelled.

Her voice echoed around the room.

"Please come back," she pleaded.

But her cousin will never come back. Melissa is dead.