The Hearthbroken Mother

Katie's POV

My cousin, she is really gone. Lord Pan was behind me, silent tears flowing down his cheeks. Abigail was too, her reed pipes in her hand and rocking back and forth due to energy lost.

"She is gone," I cried.

"Let's go Katie, to home. You can see your sister," Abigail suggested.

"Okay," I replied.

"Thank you Katie and Abigail. I will always remember you guys for helping me. Abigail, can you tell the satyrs that I am back? Grover will be happy to hear that," Lord Pan said.

We set off again. Most of the time, Abigail and I walked in silence. Sometimes, tears were flowing down. Melissa died because of me.

Finally, about a week after Melissa died, we climbed up Half-Blood Hill. It was afternoon. A couple of kids as we walked past them started whispering. We arrived at the Big House. Chiron was sitting on the deck, looking into the distance.

"Hello Chiron," I said sadly.

"Where is Melissa?" he asked.

Neither of us said anything.

Realization was on his face. "I am so sorry."

"Let's start designing her shroud. We don't have a body, but we can still make a shroud. We buried her body back in Colorado," I explained. "But I have to go explain what happened to my aunt."

—- Time Skip: At Meadow Gardener's House (Melissa's Mom)——-

I walked up to the front door of Aunt Meadow's house. I am so nervous. She hasn't seen me since before the Second Titan War. I knocked on her smooth door.

Aunt Meadow opened it. She is so similar to Melissa. Aunt Meadow has meadow green eyes; hence her name, and hair the color of tree trunks. She is super nice and has a great personality.

"Hello Katie. Long time, no see!" she said cheerfully. "I got a letter from Chiron a few weeks ago that Melissa arrived at Camp Half-Blood. Why isn't she here? Is she training?"

"It is a long story," I replied. "Can I come in?"

"Okay."

I walked into the small apartment and sat down on one of the couches.

"Well it started with me screaming about a prophecy..." I started. Then I explain everything from meeting the Hunters of Artemis to the final battle. When I was done, tears were streaming down our cheeks.

"My daughter, my sweet daughter is dead. I thought leaving behind Pan would do her good. Apparently it didn't," Aunt Meadow wailed.

"Aunt Meadow, it isn't your fault. The Fates choose what will happen," I explained. "I have to go. We need to make and burn her shroud."

I got up and left the heartbroken mom's house.

——Time Skip: Next Day, Shroud Burning——

Third Person POV

The camp finally discovered that Melissa died. Katie took the torch and lit up the shroud. It was beautiful. It was forest green with a nature design. It made people wonder who her parents were.

"I know you are wondering who her parents are," Katie shouted, "she told me in her dying to tell you guys who her parents are. She is the daughter of Pan."

Everyone started whispering. Katie later that day answered a lot of questions.

Katie and Abigail were heartbroken. Katie especially. Addie was melancholy when she heard about the death of Melissa. She was sad that now Brianne and Melissa both died on their quest. Meadow and Pan are also bitter. Katie tries to visit her aunt whenever she can.

Melissa, just like Brianne, got known as The Half-Blood Satyr because of what Addie whispered long ago in the forest of Colorado.