Chapter Five

Mate. Mate. Mate. We're going to see mate! Mia, my wolf, had been shouting in my head all day. She nonstop bothered me with her antics.

  Alpha Killian had hung up on me before I could question him any further. And I had a lot of questions. For instance, was she okay? Did he hurt her? Why is she there? Are they taking care of her? Is she even alive still?

  These questions, more like worries, are what kept me from continuing my not-so-well-going art piece.

  I was to wound up to stay concentrated on anything, my mind a complete and utter mess.

  I had yet to leave my room, so I hadn't told my mom what was going on. But I knew I was going to have to.

  Sighing I pulled myself away from my desk, abandoning my project for another time. I exited my room, closing the door silently behind me. Making my way downstairs.

  Mom was in the mini-kitchen, cutting a few fruits. Probably for my siblings as she was also placing them into two separate plastic bags. I stood there for a minute before making my presence known.

  "Hey, Mom?" I said. She looked up, surprise flashing in her eyes.

  "Aspen! When did you get here?" I shrugged off her question.

  "Not long ago. I'm here to...." I trailed. Clearing my throat I continued. "I'm here about. ..er...the..um...call I got earlier."

  "Oh." Was all that left her mouth, revealing little in her tone, but her face said it all.

Over time I'd learned to read emotions in most wolves, her current expression showed many. Shock. Fright. Worry. Confusion. And lastly. Curiosity.

  "W-What did h-he.... erm. Alpha Kil-Killian want?" I could tell she was trying to act casual, but she was failing miserably.

  "I-." I didn't know how to say this. Do this.

"Mom-." I looked away from her penetrating gaze. Avoiding eye contact, I clenched my jaw.

  "What's wrong, honey?" Mom tried, walking forward four steps. I raised my hand to keep her from coming any closer, she stopped.

  "Mom, I-I'm. . ." I looked back at her, then, unable to look her straight on, averted my gaze back down in defeat. I might as well get this out of the way while I still, sort of, had the ability. "I'm leaving," I muttered.

  "What?" She said.

  "I'm-"

  "Just say it, Aspen."

  "I-......"

  "Come on, Aspen."

  "I'm leaving! Alright?!" I all but shouted at her.

  Mom made a low noise, almost seemingly pained. Me and you both.

  "Why." Was all she managed to say.

  "I can't say, Mom. But I must." That wasn't the complete truth, but it wasn't exactly a lie either.

  "I understand, Aspen." No, she didn't. And she never would, I couldn't tell her. She wouldn't find out, not until I was sure.

  "So when are you leaving?" Mom asked casually.

  "I don't know, soon though."

  "When you go, Aspen, what will I tell them?" I knew what she was hinting at, but I couldn't deny the sudden surge of loneliness that came with the idea of leaving. What would she tell them?

  "I'm leaving tonight after they go to sleep. In the morning, tell then I left for business reasons." I decided.

  "What if they ask how long?" She muttered.

  "Tell them I don't know," I sighed, then a sudden thought came to mind. "but I will come back."

  I walked off then, going outside to stretch.
  What will I do when I get there? What do I say? How do I act? What if he didn't want me?  What if he hates me for running away that day?

  What if.....what if he's like my father?

  No, I shouldn't think like that. Hell, I didn't even know the guy. All I knew of him was he ruled over the Night Walker Pack, and that was frightening enough. I stopped when I reached a bit into the forest around my village, sitting in the dip below a large tree.

  Mia?

  Yes? She, my wolf, answered almost immediately.

  What do you think it will be like?

  What do you mean?

  Living....living there Mia.

  It will be great! She purred.

  How can you be so sure? I mean aren't you even a little bit afraid?

  No. Why would I be?

  What if-

  No. She cut me off. I growled lowly.

  But-

  No but's, Aspen.  Then comfortingly. He's our mate, he wouldn't harm us. Mates don't do that.

  Funny, Mia. Very funny. I hissed, bitterly. It took a second for the realization to hit her. Then it was all apologies.

  I'm so sorry, Aspen. You know that's not what I meant. I-

  But I ended her rambling, blocking her out so I could think for myself.

:::

  It was beginning to get dark by the time I started heading home.

  I had to sneakily make my way in and out without anyone, especially Jake or Zadie, finding out what was going on.

  Upon reaching home I glanced over the distance between my window, and the ground below where I stood.

  "If I went at a certain angle, I could...hmmm.." I thought, quietly, out loud. Oh, hell. I thought and settled for the fairly, kind of, a stable tree near my bedroom window.

  I stalked towards the tree, starting at the base of it I began my journey upwards.
  As I neared the top, the tree began to give out. Starting with a faint crack, the tree began to break. the crack spread while I, unaware of the situation, continued my trip to my window.

  Almost there, so close-

   Snap!

   Came the deafening noise I dreaded, oh, so much.

  I let out a silent whimper as the branch gave away, and I plunged down with it.

  instinctively, I grabbed the closest thing to me to stop my fall, which, thankfully, was a semi lose brick somewhere below my window.

  Using the few small bricks jutting out from the structure to my advantage, I made my way up the height to my bedroom.

  I grabbed the edge of the window, using it to pull myself up. Thankfully I always had my window unlocked in cases of immediate danger.

  Once inside I picked up a medium sized bag, unzipping it I piled clothes and a few other necessities into it. Not makeup though, for I hated the concept of it, not that I was bad at it, I just didn't use it for every day. Hell, I could make you look like any fictional or TV character you suggested, not that I am bragging or anything.

   I zipped my bag shut, gathering it in my hand I shrugged it on.

  I really didn't want to climb my way down again, instead, against my better judgment, I jumped.

  Bending my knees to put off some of the impacts, as I had been taught. To my great surprise, it didn't hurt. Not one bit.

  Well, if only I had done that in the first place.

Once regaining my balance I stood and sprinted away from home into the depths of the forest before I would end up changing my mind.

  Now. Where was it I was supposed to meet him?

If you thought it was okay, vote, comment. Please.