Chapter Twenty

I backed up slowly, and she followed. I felt my back hit the wall and shivered at the dangerous look in her eyes.

She couldn't, she wouldn't, I was still her mate. That had to mean something.

'Colt??'

He only whimpered in reply, he didn't like this at all - and I couldn't blame him. His fur stood up along his back and his tail stood up, fluffed out and everything. His ears pressed against his head as he bared his teeth, but there was hesitancy in his movements. He couldn't fathom hurting his mate, and neither could I.

"Come on, amor, you don't have to do this." I tried to mind link my warriors but there was an invisible barrier blocking any contact, in or out.

She only let out a dark chuckle, before moving closer, only a few inches away now.

"Oh, but she does," Mario commented, I could hear the excitement in his voice. "You see, we always knew one day down the line she would be born. That she would succumb to the darkness inside her. And I was right."

I dragged my attention back to her, her eyes ablaze and her lips pulled back to reveal her pointed canines.

She struck first, narrowly missing my face as her fist hit the stone wall. She hissed and lunged forward, bitting my shoulder before backing away again, it burned.

She lunged at me full force, sending us both crashing to the ground. Her eyes glazed over as her claws sank into my skin. I clenched my teeth in pain.

My instincts kicked in and I flipped us over, careful not to harm her, letting out a warning growl. My hands held both her arms down while my legs kept hers in place, my fangs inches from her face. But still, no matter what she did, I could not hurt her.

Even as her claws punctured the skin of my wrists, and she kneed where it hurt the most, I could not force myself to bring harm to mi amor.

And he knew that.

She was my weakness in more ways than one, that was his plan all along. I watched her face in dismay, her blazing eyes and pointed fangs, the way her face twisted into one I couldn't fathom.

I barely recognized my mate like this, Colt was right, this wasn't her.

She took my hesitancy as weakness and flung me off her, slamming into the wall. I felt warm liquid seeping through my hair and down my neck.

She crawled her way to me, like a predator stalking its prey. And this time I was on the receiving end. She aimed a blow at my face, and I felt the blood make its way, dripping down my jaw.

"Please. " I breathed as she raised her fist aging.

"Mi amor, " I wheezed. "You don't have to...to do..th..this." I finished with a cough. She seemed to freeze in place, her face morphing into one of confusion, her fist slowly lowering.

A single tear ran down her cheek and her hand began to unclench. I raised my hand to reach for her, only to be countered by another blow from her.

Aspen's POV 

A small glimpse, that's all I saw. When he wheezed those two loving words.

I saw the damage I'd done. Mia was using all her strength to block the image from our sight. We had already tried to fight back.

Mi amor. Is what he said. My love.

I shattered on the inside when I saw the look he gave us in that small piece I was able to see, full of adoration and pain mixed together.

A single tear escaped me, but I wanted to cry a river. I unclenched my fist and slowly let it fall, finally gaining a little control over my body again as his hand reached for me.

Did I say you were done!?

The voice screamed again, and all my control was ripped away from me as I fired the final blow.

Im sorry.

And he was out like a light. Falling against the wall behind him.

I gasped, finally gaining complete control over myself. I took a look at what I'd done. Blood coated the wall behind his head, a clear clue as to where it was coming from, and the same crimson liquid leaking from a gash in his forehead - dripping down his face and into his lap.

I let out a quiet cry before I leaped at him, pulling him into a tight embrace as his head rested limply on my shoulder.

I snuggled him close to me as Mia let out a pained howl. I joined her, letting out a howl of despair as I choked on my own tears. The blood seeping out of his wounds soaked my shirt, and covered my skin.

I was so lost in my own sadness I didn't hear the guards we brought with us rush in. I felt nothing when they pulled me away from him. Nothing but pain.

He wasn't dead, he couldn't be, not yet.

°•°•°•°•°
 Well, It's about damn time! Sorry for the very, very loooooong wait. Don't worry he's not dead! ...yet... Im kidding!!

...Or am I?..

Anyways...as you could probably tell from an earlier chapter(very early) this was supposed to be a romance book, buuuuuut yeah it didn't turn out that way. The plot kinda rewrote itself. 

And as it has been ages since I first started this story, I forgot most of the beginning every time I went to write a new chapter...sorry about that...

And if youre still reading, thank you for waiting so long!!:)

Till next time,  

Phoenix