Chapter Thirteen

I was dragged out of bed by Killian at the sun's peak. I didn't say anything, just went along with it. I had thought have our mate so close would be enough to awaken Mia, I was wrong.

With the hood of my black hoodie was still draped over my eyes, I hadn't been given the opportunity to check my appearance in the mirror I didn't know if they were still red.

I was dragged into the forest, he seemed eager to show me something.

We were a great distance from the central village, in a large clearing. The grass grew low, a variety of Phlox flowers lined the clearing and some grew daringly apart from the rest. It was a sight to behold. Well...from what I could see from my minimal line of vision.

"What are we doing here?" I asked shoving my hands into the pocket of my hoodie.

"I have something to show you."

"Then show," I grumbled, the light was bothering my eyes, a clear indication they hadn't returned to their normal color.

He crouched low and I heard the sound of bones cracking and repositioning as he shifted into his wolf.

I finally looked up slightly I jumped slightly by what I saw.

His thick white fur reflected the sun's rays making me shield my eyes slightly.

His coat was pure white not a speck of another color present. My gaze trailed to his head and, as I had suspected, a dimly glowing blue waxing crescent moon tattooed onto his forehead. His eyes shone a magnetic electric blue.

I took a few steps back.

He was the White Wolf.

And I was in trouble.

I took off into the forest. I didn't look back but I could hear his footfalls turn into human one as he chased me.

I had to get away. That was my only thought as I ran.

Something stirred within me and I had to force myself to keep running and not turn back.

Let me out! Mia snarled. I froze mid-step.

Mia?

What!? Her tone was harsh and hid a demand inside it.

What's wrong, Mia? She only barked a laugh.

"Are you okay?" I snapped out of it for a second at his voice. I hadn't realized what I must look like on the outside. Head down, hood shadowing my face as it hid my eyes, and claws digging into the dirt as I sat criss-cross on the forest floor. Wait...claws?? Oh, no.

This was bad. This was really bad. I felt a hand on my shoulder and flinched away from it with a hiss.

"Did I scare you or something?" I let out a dark humorless laugh at that.

"You scare me? Ha, in your dreams!" I barked. This wasn't me talking. That realization made it so much clearer as to how close to the surface Mia was.

I didn't notice he had sat in front of me until his fingers touched my chin. I flinched again, but he held me in place.

"Heyy, " He said softly. I growled. He managed to calm me down a bit. But that all went to waste when he pulled my hood off, revealing my demonic irises.

He jerked back slightly.

"What? Did I scare you?" Mia taunted.

"Aspen?? What's going on."

"Ouch, that hurts," Mia said placing a clawed hand over our heart in mock hurt. "doesn't your wolf recognize his mate?"

"Mia."

"Yep." She winked. The fire began to surge again, starting at my feet and working its way up.

He shook his head and gained a hold over his wolf again, something I envied him for. I was trapped behind Mia and she wasn't going to give me control willingly, she had been trapped far too long.

"Give Aspen back, I need to speak with her."

"Now why would I do that? All she does it suppress me to the bottomless pit of her hellhole of a mind!" She spit standing up and dusting the hoodie, tearing a few small holes in it. Damn that my favorite one. I mentally cursed.

"Oh, Killian, " She shook her head side to side, sighing. "you wouldn't believe the internal torment your mate goes through. Each. And. Every. Day." She hissed the word mate like it was bothersome to her.

Oh, right, he is my birth enemy.

"She does?" He looked up his face contorted into one of pain as if his knowledge of my hurting pained him too.

"Yep, and-" Shut up Mia!! I mentally screamed. She visibly winced. I covered our mouth with our hand urging her to, shut the fuck up.

Now, why would I do that? I'm finally free! She rejoiced.

Please, Mia. This isn't yo-

This is me, Aspen! It may not be you, but it is me! This is the real me!! She was giving us a headache with all this internal yelling.

We fell to the ground and fought for control. I tried my hardest to suppress her, but in the end, she won.

She stopped moving for a second, then started shifting. There was nothing I could do to stop her. Bones broke themselves and rearranged, fur sprouted from the skin, and my face reshaped into a wolf snout. She shook her fur out and took off deeper into the forest.

I blacked out for most of her adventure but when I regained consciousness, and in human form, the last thing I saw was fire.