Chapter Ten

Rain began to patter against the ground as I entered my territory. Mia wasn't talking to me. Ever since we left his land she had been abnormally quiet. I blew out a breath, glancing around the trees.

I felt as though I was being watched. But that's crazy, right?

I had long since passed the border, yet there were no guards in sight. Strange.

By the time I reached the main area, where the houses of pack members lined the clearing, I was surprised by what I saw.

Everyone had their heads bowed as Alpha Bennett muttered a few words. He was the first to spot me.

"Aspen?" He spoke, alarm evident in his tone, as he gestured something to Cole, our beta. "I'm surprised to see you here, what happened?"

"Yeah, what happened, rouge life too hard for you?" Someone in the group laughed. I couldn't pinpoint who it was exactly, but I had a pretty good idea.

I ignored the mutters of agreement and proceded to question Alpha Bennett.

"What happened?"

"Like you don't know!" Another wolf from the crowd yells.

I glared in their direction, shifting my weight back and forth slightly.

"I'll ask again, what happened?"

Alpha Bennett glared but continued anyway. "Three pack members were killed yesterday."

"Three?" That can't be right. I only saw Riley, die. Well, I didn't see him die, but it was implied. My gaze drifted downwards as I fell deep into thought. The wrong move. The move that made you seem guilty.

Alpha Bennett's voice brought me back into reality. "Yes, three. Do you know anything about this, Omega?"

I knew why he was using my pack status against me, he was trying to degrade me, make me feel small. He was trying to dominate me with his Alpha position.

I smiled inwardly, Mia, despite her indifference, chuckled along puffing out her chest proudly.

"Who?" I asked, crossing my arms and shifting my weight slightly onto my right.

"Kelly James, Mara Vincent, and William Hollingsworth. They were found dead by the cliff."

"So you're telling me. . ." I began, stopping myself before I could continue, I shrugged it off.

"Yes?"

"Nothing. It's nothing." I smiled ever so slightly, despite the raging battle within my head. Bennett gave me a strange look but didn't question it.

"Well then," He said, glancing around the crowd huddled around him. "we will be having the funeral for our lost warriors tomorrow evening." It was a dismissal for everyone to leave, and they did, but I stayed.

Bennett leaned down to mutter something to Cole. Cole nodded then said something back, they both parted ways. Bennett to the pack house, Cole to the woods.

I wonder what they were on about. Mia huffed, pacing a bit.

You're back.