Chapter Twenty Four

Dedicated to Mako2017. As their comment is what gave me the motivation I needed to write this.

--

Aspens pov

Killian followed steadily as I charged through the trees in the direction of my home territory.

When we arrived behind my house I knew my vision had already come true.

It was unusually quieter than I remembered. I let go of Killian, stepping cautiously through the backyard to the back door. It was already open.

I stepped in silently, Killian following suit. Sobbing could be heard from the living room. I let the hushed cries lead me.

My heart broke at the sight. Jake, my little brother, clutching our mom as she held him in her lap. Silent tears falling from her eyes as she desperately tried to ease Jake's hysteria.

"What happened?" I asked my voice barely even a whisper.

Her eyes snapped open, but there was no hate or disgust in them this time, only glazed over in overwhelming sadness. She looked from me to Killian then back to me again; a silent but desperate plea.

I swallowed back the tears that threatened to fall. 'Find her' Is what her eyes said, 'do whatever you need to, just bring her back to me'.

"Please, " Her voice broke. "I know you can."

I nodded. I didn't know if I could, but I'd be dammed if I let her down again.

"Of course."

I looked back to see Killian emerging back through the doorway.

"I called Tyler, he and a few guards will be here soon. It's best to keep them in our territory for now." He said to me.

I looked back at Mom, she was chanting calming words as she rocked Jake gently.

"Okay," I didn't want anything to happen to them, too. "Okay, we can do that."

Mom had been reluctant when we mentioned our plan to her but agreed after we informed her that Ember would be there too.

Tyler and the guards arrived shortly, we all piled into the car. The drive was deafeningly silent.

"You all can stay in my room for now." I offered to Mom when we got there.

Killian gave me a strange look after Tyler ushered them away, the guards quietly following his lead.

"Hm?"

"Where are you going to sleep?"

I chuckled humorlessly. "No time for sleep, I've got things to do. A small, quiet office would be nice though."

He nodded. "Follow me."

He led me into the house and upstairs to a door a few doors down from where my family would be staying. It was a small storage-like space, a desk, and a chair in the center, along with a dim lamp hanging from the ceiling.

"Thanks." I gave him a short grateful hug before entering the room and shutting the door behind me. Locking it as I had no plans on leaving anytime soon.

I sat in the, surprisingly comfy, chair pulling sheets of paper from one of the desks draws and taping them together with the roll of tape on the desk.

What's the plan, Mia?

'We got some training to do' She answered.

So I got to work, sketching the plans and scribbling phrases and directions. All the while Mia thought of different ways we could improve our powers without drawing any attention to ourselves.

We could do this. We had to. I would never forgive myself if they did something to Zadie.

~

A short lil chapter, I'm trying to get back into the motion of writing 1st person pov. It's hard for me to switch back after having been writing in 2nd person over on ao3.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoyed this small little chapter. It's basically just a filler.

Till next time,

Phoenix