Chapter Eighteen

Pictures. Security cameras. The man that haunted my dreams. And...and someone else. Someone I remember long ago. I scrambled through my earlier memories, trying to match a name to the face. But came up empty.

"Martin Jackson, former leader of a very large pack of rouges." Kane finally spoke up. 

"Who's their leader now?" I didn't pay any attention until Kane replied.

"Mario Jackson, firstborn and, " He looked down at me. "Your father's brother." 

"That's them?" As much havoc that was going on internally, by voice was steady and calm...frighteningly calm.

I didn't need to hear his reply to know the answer. I was a descendant of the most hated and feared rogues in history. I truly was an abomination a mistake

"I'm going." 

"What?" Killian snapped at me. It was clear he disagreed with the idea, but it had to be done. 

"Why do you want to go there exactly, L-Aspen," Kane asked, tilting his head a little - like a puppy, almost.

"I have to, I need to know why. Why I'm like the way I am." I concluded.

"But-" Killian began.

"No buts!" I cut him off. "You know why you are the way you are. You know why you were put on this horrific earth! You were put here to destroy me, to cancel out me, to erase me from existence!" I let out a breath and lowered my head, and whispered too low for any werewolf to hear, 

"And I'd let you…"

                               •••

Killian had agreed to let me go, as long as he - and a few guards - were around me at all times. Overprotective much. 

He's being reasonable…. 

'Still, ' I growled. 'I don't need anyone's protection.' 

True. Mia agreed. 

"Are you ready?" I glanced up, spotting Killian leaning against my door frame. I glared at him before zipping my small bag, we were only staying there for a little while, so I didn't need much. We would be leaving as soon as we could.

"What? I knocked…" I shook my head and followed him out. 

The car ride was long, sixteen hours to be exact. Killian had arranged a meeting place near their territory and we were going to be staying there, in their castle/house. Accompanied by the two cars behind us, Killian had insisted we bring them...for protection. 

We made stops here and there. Stretching our legs, snacking, and a short nap. 

We were there faster than I wanted. As we crossed over the first line - the warning line, every pack had one - I began to feel a mix of emotions. 

My heart picked up its pace and my blood burned. I hissed slightly. My eyes adjusted to the dim light the territory seemed to have over it, the sky was covered in a thick layer of eternal grey clouds. 

"Stop the car," I growled.

"Wh-"

"Stop the car!" He did as I said and pulled over. The cars following us stopped immediately. I opened the down and practically fell out. I crawled around to the back and rested my head against it. 

Mia howled within me, begging to be let out. I tried my best to calm my breathing. I was too concentrated on controlling my instincts to register what was going on around me.

I flinched away from the hand that touched my shoulder. 

I can do this. I can do this. I chanted. 

I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. I was met with five worried faces, one being my mate's. I looked around. We weren't even inside their territory and all the trees were dead, time seemed delayed, the crowned had faded into an ashy substance, the air was foggy, and everything smelled like death and smoke.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't affect me. I knew it would, but I didn't think I'd had this type of reaction. 

"Aspen? Um...er...your, your eyes." It took me a second to comprehend the sentence.

Once I did, I went into a slight panic. I scrambled onto up and made my way to the car mirror. I sucked in a sharp breath as I stared at my reflection. 

There they were. Glowing red and pulsating in All their horrifying glory. 

'Mia?' 

Yes?

'What's...what's going on?'

I don't, I don't know… It seems we're having some kind of reaction of sorts to the territory. Maybe it's a spell or something, or maybe it's just the land. 

'Why do I feel so… dark?"

I don't know...I can't control it. It's almost like...

'Like what Mia??'

It's controlling us...