iii. playing soldier

"Am I more than you bargained for yet?" --Fall Out Boy

~ ~ ~

Laden with her bags, Sam gazed around the unit she'd been assigned to. She had a few set weeks of training ahead, all before she'd be transferred to a fighting unit. Before, she'd been excited and impatient to get started— now, she was a mess of nerves.

Most of the cots were taken, except for one near the back. Moving over, Sam hesitated behind the recruit preparing his bottom bunk. "Excuse me--" Her mind raced. Was that too feminine? Had she already blown her cover?

But then the man spun around and her panicky mind blanked. She recognized him-- it was the blond-haired man from the night of Stark's show.

It's a small world after all.

"Can I help you?" He was shorter than her and if possible, scrawnier. Bright blue eyes peered out her from under a flap of neatly combed hair. Sam was lost for words for a moment, before finding her voice.

"I--Is this cot taken?" She desperately hoped her face wasn't as red as if felt. But to the question, the man's face immediately brightened.

"No, not at all!"

She smiled, setting her bags on top of the bed. After a split seconds thought, she offered a hand. "I'm Sam Clarence."

"Steve Rogers," he shook her hand with surprising vigor for someone his size. His eyes studied her face and for a moment, he looked like he was going to say something else, but then a loud voice shattered the front of the bunk, turning them both on their heels.

"Ladies! Let's get a move on, the Colonel is expecting your sorry selves outside!"

Smiling apologetically, but also in relief, Sam stepped back, letting Steve go first. She quickly followed after him, after throwing a quick glance over her shoulder.

So far, so good.

She just hoped it stayed that way.

~ ~ ~

The field was filled with soldiers in training, shouts and orders catching with the faint breeze. Sam situated herself beside Steve, trying not to fidget nervously as she glanced around. Her helmet was pulled down around her brow, though her messily cut hair still fell in pieces over her eyes. She shot him a sideways look, which he met back with a warm smile.

Despite herself, Sam smiled back. She already liked the man, even though she'd sworn to herself she'd stay away from any chances of being caught. He radiated an innocence that was comforting amidst the barracks.

"Recruits, attention!" A female voice cut through the air and their entire line instantly went rigid. Sam quickly followed, her breath catching in her throat as a brown haired women approached. "Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter. I supervise all operations for this division."

Standing to Sam's side there was a scoff, followed by a deeper, mocking voice. "What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army."

Red lips pursed. Sam stared unashamedly at Agent Carter-- she was one of the first women she'd seen on the base that hadn't been a nurse. For a moment, just the very presence of the woman almost wiped away all her fears.

"What's your name, soldier?" Carter eyed the man who had spoken. She didn't appear fazed in the least.

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty."

Carter lifted her jaw. "Step forward, Hodge."

The soldier smirked widely at that, glancing back and forth down the line before doing as he was told. Steve watched avidly by Sam's side and she did the same, almost waiting for the man to do something else that crossed the line.