xiii. zola

"I don't want them to know the way I love you." -- Fleurie

~ ~ ~

The guards arrived earlier than normal.

Or at least, it seemed no time had passed. Sam had gotten used to watching the amount of light through the grates above her head. Sometimes, it was brighter than usual. Other times, it was pitch black.

On the morning marking seven days in captivity, there was a dim amount of light, making it hard to see. She narrowed her eyes, eyeing the guards as they filed into the prison.

Her throat closed.

Doctor Zola was back again, notepad in hand and glasses reflecting the faint light. He walked straight down the narrow hall, not looking at any of the other prisoners.

His gaze was fixed on the cells that held her and her friends.

She scrambled up and Falsworth held up a cautionary hand. But when he glanced at her, his eyes widened.

"The bruises..." He stared at her face.

Sam blinked, reaching up and touching her cheek. There was no pain, no stinging. She lifted her shirt up a little, peering at her side.

Nothing. Not even the faintest bruise. 

Moving next to Falsworth, Jacques also stared.

"Good morning."

Sam dropped her shirt, whirling around. Zola stood outside her cell, eyes flicking from her, standing, to Bucky, who was leaning heavily against Dugan. His gaze slowly returned to her. 

She raised her jaw, trying not to panic.

"I heard there was trouble coming from two of our prisoners the other day," Zola said, like they were friends having a simple conversation. But the look in his eyes made her shudder. "Colonel Lohmer seemed to think I would have two new subjects today, as their injures made them useless." He gazed at Sam. "But it seems you are doing quite well."

Bucky lurched forward, face tightening in pain. He looked at her, obviously confused, but also determined. "He was barely hurt. I took most the beating."

Sam whipped sideways, glaring at him. He met her gaze and ignored the dark look, gazing back at the doctor. 

"He can work just fine."

Zola regarded Bucky, taking in his broken appearance. Then, he looked back at her, surveying her up and down. He smiled.

"Take the injured one. Leave the other."

"No!" Sam grabbed the bars as the guard went to unlock Bucky's cell. Zola's brows raised and he looked curiously at her. "I had a cracked rib," the words spilled out. "I couldn't stand. But something..." she felt stupid even saying it. "Happened."

She expected the doctor to laugh. Maybe even ignore her. 

But he looked intrigued.

The others were staring at her, but Sam didn't let her gaze leave Zola's. If they took Bucky... she wouldn't lose him. She couldn't lose any of them.

She'd die first.

"Very well," he smiled. "Take him too."

Her blood turned to ice. Too? 

Two of the guards unlocked her cell and another unlocked Bucky's. Dugan growled and went for the him, but five others wrestled him and Gabe back.