xxxix. christmas calm

"I can't escape the way I love you." -- I Love You, Billie Eilish

~ ~ ~

David finally talked.

It was an early Christmas present when he gave up a list of Hydra spies, weapon plans, and most importantly; Hydra transportation.

Their ticket to finally catching Zola.

He called it the Hydra train-line, a locomotive powered by the Tesseract itself. It carried weapons, soldiers, and personnel. Such as the Hydra doctor, for example.

Colonel Phillips gave them a quick briefing and told them to be prepared to leave within the next few weeks. In the meantime, he had said, it was Christmas.

He'd dismissed them to the holiday with an all too rare smile.

Sam had never been so excited to have both a break and a mission on the horizon. They were making progress. One day, they'd be looking at the end of the war.

But at the same time, tonight, all that was the last thing that mattered.

The Howling Commandos got dressed in their warmest coats and took to the snowy night. It was the tree lighting ceremony, where the entire city watched the ten foot tall Christmas tree go up in colors of red and green.

They'd all light a candle then. In memory of those at war, of those overseas, and of those who fell fighting for their country.

Sam would be lighting two.

One for William.

And one for Meg.

They followed the London streets, heads bent against the falling snow. Bucky had an arm wrapped around her waist and Steve stuck next to Peggy. The other Commandos laughed and joked, shoving each other back and forth as they walked.

Sam's eyes lingered on the tree as they approached. The branches were covered in snow, the lights unlit. She leaned her head on Bucky's shoulder as they came to a stop.

"You ever done something like this before?" He asked, glancing down at her.

She shook her head. "When William left, Meg and I spent the holidays eating ice cream and watching romantic comedies." She smiled at the memory. "It was fun."

"We might have to make it a tradition."

She glanced coyly at him, snickering. "Barnes, you would not like romantic comedies."

"I could always give it try," he protested. She rolled her eyes and he kissed her head. "For you, I'd give it try."

"I'm going to remind you of this when you dare complain in the middle of an hour long rom-com."

He barked a laugh.

The crowd hushed as a man stepped up on the podium. He was a politician of sorts and Sam barely listened to his speech. Something about the war. Something else about the general nazi existence.

But she perked up when he raised the light switch. Beside her, Bucky grinned, pulling her closer.

Cheers erupted through the air as the man flipped it on.

The Christmas tree flew up in colors of red, green, blue, white, and a million other colors. Suddenly, the night was alive. Sam laughed and cheered, the Commandos hooting in front of them. It was beautiful.

"Now," the man tapped the mic again. "A tribute for the fallen."

Her smile ebbed a little. Bucky took one of her candles, nodding comfortingly, and she swallowed hard.