xxiv. secrets best kept

"I have written you down, now you will live forever." -- Poet, Bastille

~ ~ ~

Bucky was sitting outside her room, leaning against her door and working on something as she approached. He looked up, starting as he saw her, and pushed himself up. It was a notebook and pencil he left on the floor, she realized.

"Smalls!" He ran a hand through his hair, looking sheepish. "I was... waiting for you. Didn't know where else to look."

Sam licked her lips, forcing a smile. She didn't know what to say, how to start. Looking at him, eyes raised, she would have rather had anything else to say. "I was at headquarters. Howard, uh, caught me heading back."

"Stark?" Bucky searched her face, brows furrowing. He stepped forward, fingers intertwining with her own. "Smalls, is everything okay?"

"I didn't realize I had such a tell," she laughed quietly.

Bucky didn't answer, studying her face.

Sam lifted her eyes, trying to find the right words. But suddenly, she found they wouldn't come. She swallowed hard and tried again, but the words stuck in her throat. She shook her head. "He wanted to check in with what happened. At the Hydra facility."

"And?"

"I'm... okay," she whispered, forcing a smile. "Everything is fine."

Relief flooded his eyes and he laughed, resting his chin on her head and holding her close. Sam turned her head against his chest, trying to smother a wave of guilt. "Damn, Smalls, you had me worried for a second."

"Sorry," she murmured. Bucky pulled back and his eyes fell to the watch wrapped around her wrist.

"Stark built you another gadget?" His eyes danced. "I'm starting to think he doesn't like me as much as you or Steve."

Despite herself, Sam chuckled, eyeing the watch. "It's just supposed to track my movements and cell regeneration. For more accurate data and research purposes, I guess. Not quite as cool as the last one."

"Stark and his inventions," Bucky laughed. "Science stuff I'll never understand. How's Meg doing, though?"

"She's always been smart," Sam smiled fondly. "But she's a woman, she isn't supposed to be. Here, she can chase what she loves and prove what she's worth. I'm proud of her. She's gonna do some great things."

"Well, on the topic of women doing things they're not supposed to..." He raised a teasing brow. Huffing, Sam pulled away, flicking him on the nose.

"Don't bring that back up, Barnes. I was a terrible man, I know that."

He barked a laugh, grabbing her hand again and spinning her around. She laughed and stumbled, his hand catching her waist to balance her. She gazed up into his eyes, the smile melting from her lips. Her heart skipped a beat. He bit his lip.

"Am I interrupting?"

They broke apart and swung around. Steve stood in the hall, hands tucked into his uniform pockets and face a brilliant shade of red. Her own face turning warm, Sam ducked her head.

"No, not at all," she looked up. "Everything okay?"

"It's Hydra. We've got a mission."

She exchanged a look with Bucky, who gazed at his friend. "Where?"

"Belgium."

"Damn. When do we leave?"

"As soon as possible," Steve smirked that little smirk of his. Puppyish, innocent, and the kind that made Sam want to sock him. "That is, if you're sure I'm not interrupting anything."