xii. samantha, not sam

"If I told you what I was, would you turn your back on me?" -- Imagine Dragons, Monster

~ ~ ~

They worked every day from morning until night. Most times, Sam was so tired coming back, that she'd barely make it to her cell before passing out. Five days passed and she could feel her body growing accustomed to the hard work. Strengthening, adapting. 

Every night, she dreamed of the blue light. Every night, she felt the energy coursing through her veins, throwing her into unconsciousness.

Every morning she woke up in a cold sweat.

The others noticed. 

Bucky had taken to falling asleep in the corner next to hers, so there were times when she bolted awake, she could feel that there was another person only inches away. She didn't realize he did it on purpose until she woke up one night and realized he was awake too. Studying the dog tags around her neck.

Panting, Sam clutched at them, trying to stop her beating heart. He raised his eyes to meet hers. 

"Whose are they?"

Her breaths snagged.

Bucky seemed to quickly notice her hesitance because he dipped his head apologetically. "Sorry, you don't have to say. It's alright."

"They... were my brother's," Sam said quietly. "William. He was killed on the field."

"I'm sorry," he said. For a moment, neither of them said anything, then he shifted, glancing around his cell. The others were fast asleep. He looked back at her. "Is that why you joined the army?"

Her heart did a little nervous twist. "Yes."

"That night at the recruitment center... was that what you were doing?"

Her heart stopped.

Pulling away, Sam gazed through the bars at him. There was no accusation in his eyes, no threat. Only genuine curiosity.

"I don't know what you mean," she said.

He tilted a brow, a small smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. "I remember saying I never forget a pair of eyes. Though, the haircut and uniform threw me off for a good few days."

She didn't say a word. 

"You were wearing the tags that night," he glanced down.

Sam closed her eyes. The world was spinning so fast, she didn't know if it was from exhaustion or panic. After a long moment, she found her voice. "They don't let women on the field. It's not a good image for the public."

Bucky raised his eyes back up. "So you thought cutting your hair and running around like some boy from Queens would work?"

"I'm not going to apologize for my decision," Sam said defensively. "Are you really going to try and tell me it was a stupid idea? Here? I'd rather have done my best to get into the field than be sitting at home, perfectly safe, right now."

She was speaking too loudly. Dum Dum grunted, rolling over in his sleep, and both her and Bucky went still. But the man began to snore again almost instantly.

She looked back at Bucky. "You going to tell them?"

"It's not my place," he answered. Something flickered in his eyes and he offered a small smile. "You're terrible at being a man, though."

"So I've heard," Sam scooched back into the corner. She leaned against the bars, playing idly with the tags. "If the Colonel finds out... If he realizes..." She clenched her jaw. She'd seen what happened to those who couldn't keep up. Who weren't strong enough to work day-to-day. "I can't mess up."