xxx. promise me

"The walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love." -- Pompeii, Bastille

~ ~ ~

"You acted like a fool, Clarence! You endangered our troops, our men. You went in without a thought, without backup, without a plan of escape."

Colonel Phillips continued to rage. Sam stood at attention, not daring to move, barely daring to breathe. The moment they'd gotten back to SSR headquarters, she'd been escorted by two armed guards to his office. Alone.

"I should take away your uniform," he said, coming to a stop in front of her. Her breaths caught in her throat and Sam swallowed. "Put you on desk duty for a month or so. That would straighten you out."

She didn't say a word. Sighing, Phillips turned around. 

"I warned you, Clarence. I don't give out third chances. If you were any of my other men, I'd have you locked up. That was insubordination you pulled, going against orders."

Sam closed her eyes. She was so tired, it was all she could do to not collapse on the spot. Her shoulder was bandaged tightly, though it had healed nearly the second they got the bullet out. Her arm stung where Howard had put his device, though. More and more, lately.

She hadn't used her abilities since the battle. Especially not the knew ones she'd discovered. Some part of her feared if she phased out again, she wouldn't have the energy to come back in. She couldn't help but wonder if it was supposed to be so exhausting.

Howard and Meg would want to check in, she knew that much. But she didn't know exactly what she'd tell them.

"Are you going to say anything, soldier?" Phillips asked. She opened her eyes.

"I did what I thought was right, sir. We didn't lose any men and managed to rescue all the remaining prisoners. We blew the base to the ground." She wasn't going to apologize, if that was what he wanted. "I'd do it again, sir."

"Then you're even more of a fool than I thought," he said harshly. "You're no Captain America, Clarence, stop trying to be."

"No, sir, I'm not." Calm rage filled her words. "I'm the Phantom."

Colonel Phillips snorted, shaking his head. He pressed his hands behind his back, turning away. "You're a woman, soldier. If you hadn't become this... thing, I would have taken you off the field the moment I found out. If you're smart, you'll stop making me want to do it anyway."

Sam swallowed, barely restraining herself. She stood still, gazing at the wall beyond him. She wouldn't snap. Wouldn't give him the pleasure of holding more against her.

"Captain Rogers is your supervisor and he stood for you. You're lucky. But consider yourself warned, I'll be watching."

"I wouldn't expect any less, sir."

Phillips shook his head, jerking his head toward the door. She inclined her head and turned, but paused in the entrance.

"Steve followed your orders, sir. He's a good leader." She swallowed. "I wasn't cut out for making the life or death decisions. It won't happen again."

Despite the harshness of his face, the Colonel's eyes softened. "I like you, Clarence. You don't back down. Make sure it doesn't."

She left him standing behind his desk.

Exhaustion washed over her in waves and Sam's only thought was to make it back to her apartment. She needed a nap. Then, she'd face Steve and Bucky. Right now, she didn't think she could take any more lectures.