xxxiv. don't leave me

"I'll remember your face so pale, when you left me on that gloomy day. Time goes by, memories are mine, still waiting for the moment I'll see you again." -- Under the Iron Sky, Laibach

~ ~ ~

Sam didn't remember racing toward camp. All she knew was Bucky and Steve sprinted by her side and she was filled with a sudden strength she didn't know she had.

The only thing that mattered was Meg. She heard gunshots before she saw the fighting, coming out of the trees and over the ridge. On the coast below, a Hydra warship had reached land, soldiers swarming the beach. The camp was on fire and the men that'd been left behind were nothing against their numbers.

Sam stumbled to a stop and Bucky almost trampled over her. Following her gaze out, he went completely rigid.

"That's... that's..."

"That's a small army," she whispered.

Steve stilled beside them, his face paling as he took in the Hydra wave. He cast a glance over his shoulder, where the Commandos followed, then looked back.

"Steve?" Sam eyed him. "What do we do?"

The blond man clenched his jaw, hesitating. He knew as well as them that even with the Commados, it was going to be a deadly fight. The rest of the group was falling by their sides, gasping and out of breath. Dugan cursed when he got an eye of the fighting below.

"I swear to god. I hate these guys."

"We'll split into groups," Steve finally decided. "Circle around, cut them off from the warship. Sam, Buck, try to find Meg and Stark. Get anyone who isn't a fighter to safe ground."

Sam nodded, eyeing the fighting. What she saw made her blood chill.

"Look there," she pointed. Marching through the fighting was two more mechs. Bigger, if possible, than the one they'd faced. "What if we got control of one of those? We could do some serious damage."

"That might be a death sentence, Smalls," Bucky murmured.

"But could you think of a better way to go?"

He arched a brow, shooting her an unamused side-glance. She managed a small smile, shrugging.

"Well personally, I'd like to drive one of those," Dugan said. "I say we go for it."

The others all nodded.

"Okay, then that'll be our goal," Steve hefted his shield. "Gabe, Jacques, Dugan, the two mechs are your responsibility. Morita, Falsworth, get onto the warship and rig it to explode."

"And Meg?" Sam gazed at him. The girl was her first priority, no matter what. Steve nodded reassuringly.

"You and Buck stick to your mission. We need Stark if we're going to help you. I don't care what inventions he claims to be able to use, get him off the field and keep him safe."

Sam blinked. The crate of weapons. Between the explosion of the castle base and the ambush— she'd forgotten. Steve seemed to read her face, because his face softened.

"We'll figure something out, Samantha."

She nodded. Steve turned back to the others but she didn't hear what he said. Bucky started down the side of the ridge and she followed, racing by his side. Together, they entered the camp, weaving past burning tents and the sound of screams.

Howard's tent... she looked beyond the flames. Meg couldn't be there. She couldn't, not unless-- Sam banished the thought. Stumbling to a stop, she whirled around.