xxix. mistakes

"You can't choose what stays and what fades away. And I'd do anything to make you stay." -- No Light, No Light, Florence + The Machine

~ ~ ~ 

Her and Bucky wove from shadow to shadow, movements perfectly in sync. 

They left a trail of bodies, taking out as many soldiers as possible. It was quiet; scarily quiet. By the time Sam reached a tank near the prison, her heart was thudding and a sheen of sweat lined her brow. She crouched beside the tire, Bucky beside her.

"I count four guards," he whispered, glancing out and pulling back in. His blue eyes flickered in the moonlight, reflecting her own. They were nervous. Nervous but excited.

"Two each," she said. He smiled softly, pecking her in the cheek.

"Don't die, Smalls. Or I'll kill you."

"Right back at'cha, Barnes."

They split up, each taking a different side. Sam decided to test her new abilities, phasing out and creeping up behind the closest guard. He didn't turn. She unsheathed her knife and drove forward, sinking it deep into his neck. 

He didn't even have a chance to cry out. 

His body crumpled and quickly, she dragged him back into the shadows. Blood warmed her hands and Sam scowled, wiping them off on his uniform. There was a flashlight at his side, which she took, but left his gun. She had enough weapons as it was.

Hell, she was a weapon.

Phasing back in, Sam blinked hard. It was exhausting, that was a worthwhile note. Though, she also felt exhilarated. Smiling, she vanished again.

She moved toward the second soldier. He was closest to the camp, watching the prisoners with a stoic face. She didn't even bother trying to lure him back, sweeping out his feet and driving her blade into his chest. One of the prisoners sitting near the barbed wire went rigid. Sam froze, cursing herself.

She'd been hoping he was asleep.

Reappearing, she dragged the man's body toward the wire. The prisoner's dirt-stained face turned white and he scrambled back, raising his hands.

"Please, don't take me yet. I'm not ready to die."

Sam blinked. Then tilted a brow, smirking. "I'm real. And I'm not going to kill you." She lugged the man's body forward. "Get him out of sight, unless you want this rescue to go horribly wrong."

"Rescue?"

"Just take him," she ordered. The man quickly complied, grabbing the guard and dragging him into the makeshift prison. Sam phased back out and he dropped the body, sketching a cross symbol over his chest.

Sam rolled her eyes, creeping back to the truck. Bucky was already waiting and she made sure to reappear before stepping into sight.

She didn't know how to explain her additional abilities. Not right now.

"Smalls," he looked relieved. "Took your time, huh?"

"Oh, hush up, Barnes."

"The others radioed in. Gabe and Dernier were seen, but took out the guard before he could raise the alarm. Falsworth and Morita are fine," he smirked. "Dugan said you owe us all drink."

Sam huffed a laugh. "Of course, he did."

"The others all agreed," Bucky added. She grinned harder, shaking her head. A peek around the tire revealed the yard was hauntingly empty. Ten minutes-- they'd have ten minutes starting now.