xxiii. revelations

"When it feels like nothing else matters, will you put your arms around me?" -- Delta, Mumford & Sons

~ ~ ~

"Alright doll, hit me with your best--" Jim grunted as Sam flickered through him, grabbing his arm and flipping the smaller man over her shoulder. He hit the mat hard, eyes snapping open.

"You were saying?" Sam asked, tightening her ponytail. He let out a long groan, rolling onto his side.

To the side, the other Commandos cheered and whooped. Sam turned, grinning, and rested her hands on her hips. 

"Alright, who's next?"

Instantly, they all fell quiet, exchanging wide-eyed looks. She tilted a brow, fixing her gaze on Dugan. He took an interest in the ceiling above, whistling an innocent tune. 

"Come on," she groaned. "What if I say no powers?"

Behind her, the training room door opened and closed. 

"I'll go."

Grinning from ear to ear, she whirled around. Steve stood behind her, grinning back. It had been over a week since she'd seen the man; since before her night out with Bucky, as he'd been called for a briefing at some super secret SSR headquarters a plane ride away. 

"Steve," she stepped forward, engulfing him in a hug. He laughed, embracing her gently back. "God, I've missed you."

"I'm glad to see you're healing," he said, pulling away. "The doctors said it's okay to start training again?"

"I made you a promise," she rolled her eyes. "I stayed in their care for over two weeks. Don't worry, I'm not doing anything I shouldn't be."

"Well, Buck told me your first night out was quite a good one," his blue eyes flickered playfully. "So maybe you should be thanking me."

"You talk too much, Rogers," she shot back, though her face softened. "But thank you. The park was wonderful."

"You seem like a night under the stars kind of girl," he smiled.

"I thought Bucky was with you?"

"Um, oh, yeah, uh..." Steve rubbed his hand over the back of his neck, grimacing. "I didn't think of a proper excuse for this. Ask me in a few minutes?"

"Whatever, Rogers," she rolled her eyes, stepping back. "We gonna do this?"

The Commandos watched silently.

Steve looked hesitant, but Sam nodded, gesturing him forward. Glancing at the others, he unbuttoned his captain's jacket, revealing a white t-shirt underneath. Tossing the jacket aside, he stepped onto the mat.

"You sure, Sam?"

"Hit me with your best shot."

He hesitated. "All in?" 

"Everything you've got," her body flickered. "All in."

Looking a little nervous, he stepped forward. They circled each other, seconds ticking by. His eyes calculated her every movement. Strength ripped through his shoulders as he tensed.

Sam vanished as he leaped forward.

His hands closed on empty air and she appeared behind him, swinging. But even faster, he spun, catching her fist. Sam's eyes widened and she vanished again, reappearing on the ring's edge.

The room was silent.

"You've gotten good," Steve said. She set her stance.

"And you've gotten quick."