v. agent peggy carter

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare of all." -- Mulan

~ ~ ~

Sam woke up with a bruise across her cheek and an army sergeant at the foot of her bed. In an instant, she was awake, snatching her blankets all the way up to her chin and going completely rigid. 

"Samuel Clarence?"

Sam's breaths froze in her throat and she nodded, unable to speak for a split second. Slowly, words came to her. "Uh, yes. That's me."

In his bed next to hers, Steve slowly sat up, sleep shining brightly in his blue eyes and his blond hair a mess. He blinked a few times, then straightened as he noted the sergeant, gaze flicking to hers in question.

"I'm going to have to ask you to come with me, soldier." The sergeant said stiffly. There were a few other recruits waking up now, though not a word was spoken and every eye was on her. Sam's heart began to pound madly.

"W--why?"

"Agent Peggy Carter has requested a meeting," the man stepped back, no room for argument. "Five minutes, soldier."

He turned away, then, filing out of the room. Every wakeful eye followed him out and the moment he was gone, snapped to her. Sam sat still for a moment, her breaths starting to turn ragged. Steve swung his feet over the edge of his bed, startling her attention.

"What was that?" His eyes were rounded. "Are you in trouble?"

"I don't... I don't know," Sam tried to calm her breaths. But panic was blossoming in her stomach, closing up her throat and making alarm bells roar through her ears. Was this about the fight yesterday? Was she going to be kicked out? Had they found out about her true identity? 

Her breaths quickened even more.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Steve tried. But the worry and uncertainty in his voice was obvious. "Maybe it's just something regarding the conflict yesterday."

"Maybe," she murmured back. Pushing herself up, Sam quickly threw on her jacket and pushed short hair out of her face, tugging on her boots. Hesitating for a moment, she glanced back at Steve. "It'll be okay, right?"

His face tightened at her tone, the uncertainty quickly leaving his eyes and he nodded firmly. "You'll be fine."

Sam smiled, though she didn't quite feel it. Nodding to both him and herself, she started out of the room, doing everything possible to ignore every other eye that followed her footsteps.

Outside, the sergeant waited by the door. His face was unreadable, which only heightened Sam's panic as he started away. 

"Keep up, soldier."

She clenched her jaw, but complied, hurrying after him. They wove through the camp, which was just starting to wake up. The sun hadn't even fully rose yet, the faint hue of sunlight casting an orange glow on the tents. The air was cold and bitter, stinging Sam's nose.

They moved past the Colonel's large tent, which was still dark. Beyond that was another, slightly smaller, but still fairly spacious tent, which flickered with a small light inside. The sergeant came to a halt outside, standing by the flap entrance and clasping his hands behind his back. "Agent Carter?"

There was movement from the inside. "Come in."

Sam's heart leaped into her throat. She followed the man, despite her senses screaming for her to turn tail and run. Run where? There was nothing to do but face the music.