xvii. a reunion of old friends

"I see a ghost out on the water, I swear it has my face." -- Joy Williams, Until the Levee

~ ~ ~ 

Sam wandered down rows of weapons and gadgets, trying not to look like she was lost.

But she was. She was terribly lost.

She'd been sent for by someone much higher up, Peggy had said, but when she'd arrived at SSR headquarters, there had been no one waiting. All she knew was that she was supposed to be getting ready for their next mission. 

But she didn't know where, with who, or how she was supposed to get there.

Sighing in frustration, Sam glanced around. She had passed a few SSR scientists but in attempt to retain her dignity, she'd acted like she had a purpose. 

She was sorely regretting that now.

Her gaze fell on the tables of gadgets and glancing around, Sam wandered over. She picked up the first thing that caught her eye; a simple watch. Though, it wasn't, with a glowing screen that offered three different buttons.

Wrapping it around her wrist, she pressed the first.

Double mirage knives suddenly appeared in her hands, flickering in and out of sight. But at the same time, they were as real as cold steel. Her eyes widening, Sam slashed back and forth. The blades whistled.

"Whoa," she whispered.

Pressing the next button, she found a shimmering layer of armor enveloped around her chest and legs. It was thin, see-through, like nothing more than an illusion in the air.

She pressed her fingers against it, feeling firm protection.

Sam grinned, conjuring the knives again and swinging them in a wide arc. Glancing back at the watch, she started to press the third button, only to start as a shout broke the air.

"And over here we have-- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Jumping, she whirled around, carrying the knives with her. A mustached man in a suit and tie shouted and stumbled back, barely dodging her swing. Sam yelped.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry!" She quickly tapped the watch face, turning the mirages off. Suddenly, she was aware of the two women watching in shock behind the scientist. Blinking, she was even more aware that she recognized the scientist.

It was Howard Stark.

"I... I was just..." Sam stumbled off. Howard frowned, unclasping the watch from her wrist.

Behind him, one of the girls giggled. Sam gazed at them.

Her heart stopped.

She recognized the shorter of the women, with curly blond hair and bright blue eyes. The girl met her gaze and blinked in confusion.

"Meg?" Sam stared in shock.

"S... Sammy?" 

"Oh my god," Sam threw herself forward, tackling the girl. Tears rose in her eyes and she felt Meg hug her back, cautiously at first, then with all the strength she had. Which had always been more than anyone would expect.

After a long moment, she drew back. Meg's eyes widened.

"I thought you were dead! Or... or gone forever or halfway across the world or... or something," Meg blinked, trailing off. Suddenly, her face hardened. "God dammit, Sammy, I thought you were dead! Dead! A letter? You left me a damned letter?!"

"Uh, ladies?" Howard gazed between them. The other woman had left, but Sam could care less. Her face flushing, she bit her lip.

"I uh, joined the army?"