Chapter 18

*Ashton's POV*

I was coming closer to the 7-Eleven and I looked through the window. I raised an eyebrow when I saw some guy with brown hair instead of Luke. I thought Luke worked at this time. Did I get the schedule wrong? No, I usually come around this time, whether it was eleven or twelve, and Luke would always be at the counter.

When I walked in, I took in the appearance of the guy. He had brown fluffy hair that swept to the right side of his face. His skin was tanned, like he had been going to the beach to surf every weekend. He was really attractive, like those Tumblr models, but not as attractive as Luke.

The mystery guy was reading some kind of adult magazine. He paid no attention to me, for his mind was completely focused on the pictures of the half naked women in the pages.

I pulled out my phone to look at the time. It was nearing midnight. Luke's shift is from eleven to three, so why is he not here? Maybe this guy will know something about why Luke isn't here.

I slowly approached the counter and the guy didn't even give me a glance. Rude. That is not how you treat a customer, ignoring them as if they weren't there. Once I was at the counter, I cleared my throat to get the guy's attention. He finally looked up, but only for a brief second before he went back to reading.

"Do you work here?" I asked, only to get a conversation started. Of course he works here. He's standing right behind the counter. Why else would he be there reading a magazine, if he didn't work here?

The guy licked his finger to flip another page, and it was pissing me off how he was ignoring me like I wasn't even here. Well, since Luke's not here, there really is no reason for me to buy anything, is there?

I spun on my heels so that I was facing the door and started walking out.

"Irvin!" An arm was thrown around my neck and pulled me back, choking me in the process. Both of my hands grabbed at the arm to pry it off, but the person must've sensed that they were hurting me, because they soon removed their arm from me. I turned around and saw Calum sheepishly laughing. "Sorry. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I coughed. I cleared my throat and patted my chest before crossing my arms over it. "Why are you here?"

"I work here. Didn't you know that?"

"Well, I was actually expecting-"

"Luke?" I nodded slowly. "He got the night off. He was hurt, because of some two little dweebs trying to steal from us. So I'm taking his shift along with Devin."

"Devin?" I glanced over at the counter where the guy looking through the magazine was. "You mean the lazy ass over there?"

Calum shrugged. "First night on the job. All he ever did was read that magazine. Even when I threw pieces of candy at him, he didn't even flinch. He left all of the work to me, and he's a trainee! He should be doing some work as well!"

"Uh..." Then Calum huffed and stomped off towards one of the aisles.

"Anyway, Luke will be back tomorrow. I'll tell him you stopped by and asked where he was."

"A-Actually, don't tell him that I asked about him, please" I begged, but Calum didn't hear me, for he was humming some song.

I just sighed and started walking out before my eyes landed on a box that had a bunch of lighters in it. on top of the counter. Seeing the lighters reminded me that I needed one so I could use my pack of cigarettes. I went over to the box and picked up a blue lighter.

"This is a pretty color," I commented, picking up a lighter. I noticed from the corner of my eye the rude newbie look up at me.

"Hey! No stealing!" he exclaimed, dropping the magazine from his hands and climbing on top of the counter and tackling me to the ground. I let out a shriek as he pinned me down, my front flat against the ground. He was pulling my arm back in a very uncomfortable and painful way, causing me to cry out in pain.

"OWOWOWOWOWOWOW STOP! GET OFF OF ME!" I shouted, but he only pulled my arm back farther, making the pain even more unbearable and a tear starting to slip from my eye.

"Yo! Devin! Knock it off!" I heard Calum shout as I felt the weight being pushed off of me. My arm slapped against the cold ground and I couldn't feel anything from it. I almost thought he was going to dislocate my arm or tear it off.

Calum helped me up and grabbed me by the shoulders, but I winced when he squeezed my hurting arm a bit too hard.

"Are you okay?" he asked, looking me up and down. I nodded, still panting a bit and then Calum combed his fingers through my hair. Then he looked behind me and glared at the person who attacked me. "What the hell was that about?! He's a customer! You're an employee! You should be helping the customer; not attacking and trying to kill them!"

"S-Sorry," the guy apologized.

"Apologize to him, not me!"

"I thought he was stealing. It's an instinct of mine to... do what I just did earlier."

"Break his arm?"

"I was taught to do attack first, ask questions later." I felt an arm being placed on my good shoulder and I flinched, hesitating when I turned to look at the new recruit. His brown eyes looked as if he was sincerely sorry about the action he did. "I'm sorry about attacking you."

"It's okay," I mumbled, rolling my shoulder a bit in hopes I'd ease the pain somehow.

"Please, don't sue us! Look, do you want the lighter? You can have the lighter for free. It's on me!" He grabbed the lighter from where it had fallen and placed it in my hand.

"I can't just take this," I said. I would have in all honesty just accepted this and walked out, but I don't want to raise any suspicion, just in case.

"It's fine, okay? Just-Just take it. I'm not taking no for an answer."

Well, this is some interesting bargain we're having here.

"Okay..." I spoke slowly. I pulled my backpack, but not as quickly and swiftly as before, because of how hurt my arm was. I stuffed the lighter into the small pocket of my backpack and then let my bag hang off my good shoulder.

"I-Is there anything else you want?" the guy asked, still looking worried that I would sue the place. As much as I'd like to do that for the money, I can't do that; especially since Luke works here.

I was about to leave, but I stopped in my tracks and turned around, examining the guy's face. For a brief moment it was relaxed, but it went back to worrying.

"Two bags of oreos sound nice right about now," I spoke, a smile almost forming on my lips as I saw the employee scurry over to the snack aisle. Calum stared at me, raising an eyebrow. I just shrugged at him and he shook his head. Once I got my two bags of oreos I thanked the guy, said bye to him and Calum, and walked out of the place.

One bag of oreos I put in my backpack while the other one I held in my hands and opened it up, picking out a cookie and popping it into my mouth. Then I started walking back to my place.

"Um, excuse me?" someone called out. I turned around and saw the new employee standing right outside of the shop.

"Do you need something?" I asked, my tone of voice sounding more annoyed than I tried to make it.

"It's just that, when I looked at you earlier, I couldn't help but wonder... are you... Ashton?"

------

AN: LE GASP!