Chapter 36

Thank you, arctxclashton. The cover looks amazing. (:

*Luke's POV*

Instead of running away like Ashton (apparently that's his name now (so much better than Irvin)) told me, I hid behind large crates and watched with wide eyes as everything happened.

I could've sworn that my heart had stopped and I gasped loudly the moment the gun went off and Ashton's body fell to the ground.

"No!" I screamed, running up to him from my hiding spot.

"Stay back!" Devin shouted, directing the gun at me. "Don't you dare touch him!"

I ignored him and knelt down beside Irvin, seeing his eyes wide open and his mouth agape. H-He's not dead. He can't be dead!

"You're still alive," I said to him, though I was trying to reassure myself that he's alive. "You're not dead. You're definitely alive. Tell me you're okay."

But he didn't respond.

My eyes wandered to where Ashton had got hit, realizing it was on the left side of his chest. Then tears pooled at the corners of my eyes when the realization that the possibility of him still being alive was close to nothing.

The ice pick that he had before was now lying beside his hand. I reached for it and glared up at Devin with a dark expression, my hold on the pick tightening.

He's going to pay for this.

Devin looked at me before laughing. "What's wrong? Is it because you're boyfriend's dead? He shouldn't have tried to attack me in the first place. That's what he gets."

"You hurt me first," I snapped. "You were trying to make him attack you just so you could shoot him!"

"I gave you a minor cut. He tried to stab me. Doesn't seem fair, does it?"

"What isn't fair is you!" I glanced down at Ashton, my heart breaking just at the sight of him. "H-He can't die. He doesn't deserve to die."

"You can always join him." Devin loaded the gun and I looked up at him, seeing he had it pointed at me. "Let the cheater join the thief in hell and rot together."

I slowly stood from my spot and Devin's gun followed. My fingers grew tighter around the ice pick as anger overtook me.

"Any last words, cheater?" Devin smirked deviously.

"Let the murderer get a taste of his own medicine!" I threw the pick at him the moment he pulled the trigger.

One of us fell.

I was left standing.

The pick was jabbed into his thigh and he had dropped the gun to bring his hands to where I had hit him, crying out in pain. I ran over to him and picked up the gun, aiming it at his face.

"I could avenge Ashton right now," I growled, pressing the muzzle to his forehead. "Hands behind your fucking head." Devin brought one hand behind and I pushed the gun more at him. "Both of them! Dare move after and I will shoot you."

He reluctantly did as told and I kept the gun directed at him as I made my way over to where the ropes that tied me together earlier were. Then I went back to the asshole himself and tied his arms up, making sure he couldn't pull anything.

Suddenly the sound of someone choking was heard and I glanced around, seeing Ashton was gasping for air. Relief washed over me, because he was still alive, but he was in a lot of pain. I quickly finished tying Devin up before I rushed over to Ashton.