ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

9 | OUR RELATIONSHIP WAS A SHOT IN THE DARK

jon is the only thing that evan can think about this week. he's a constant thought on his mind, plaguing all of his existence. he's supposed to be mad at jon right now, but how is he supposed to deny those sharp blue eyes in the first place?

he has been avoiding the boy all week because of the incident, but it's making him a lot more miserable than he wants to be. maybe he's just addicted to having jon around at this point, and not seeing him is like going through a recovery phase that no one wants.

"ev," a voice softly says, causing evan to turn around. hazel eyes make contact with electric blue eyes, and evan gulps down his words.

"hi j-jon," the boy barely manages to stutter out as jon takes a step closer.

"i miss you, evan," jon mumbles, grabbing the other boy's face, "i miss everything about your stupid face. i miss when we were just us."

evan sighs, almost wanting to give in to the boy and just pull him close. he snaps out of his daze, grabbing jon's hand from his face.

"do i have to remind you that you were the one who messed up us?" evan spits, looking up at the boy.

jon tries to ignore the words, "i miss your breathtaking smile that grew whenever i spoke. i miss your cute giggles that came out every once in a while. i miss how you could break me down and build me up with just one look."

the words flow out like a stream, and evan can't help but feel his stomach quenching up. right now, it seems like he only has two options. he could walk out of jon's life forever, or he could pull the boy back. evan rolls his eyes, grabbing onto the other boy's shirt.

"you may be a jerk, but you definitely have a way with words that makes me love you even more," evan says, pulling jon forward and leaning in.

their lips meet, and evan hears cheering from behind him. he pulls away from jon, whose cheeks are dusted in a light pink. evan smiles at the flustered boy, turning around to see john and jaren laughing at the scene.

"will you two piss off?" evan shouts, snorting as john and jaren flip him off while walking away. before he has a second to think, jon is already pulling him back and wrapping his hands around evan's waist.

"does this mean i'm forgiven, babe?" jon pouts, holding onto evan's waist like he's going to lose him again.

"yea, yea. just shuch up and kiss me again."

🧸

john and jaren sit on the couch after school, playing video games with each other. they've been hanging out all week together, but it's finally friday now. the rest of their friends should be here any minute now.

a doorbell rings and jaren flashes john a goofy smile as he gets up. john opens the door, greeting brock and brian as they enter. evan and jon also come in almost two seconds later.

"what's up, buttercups," jaren yells from the couch, causing the boys to laugh and look over.
another ring fills the house, and john goes over to the door.

"not to meddle in anything, but are you two dating yet?" brock asks, sitting next to jaren while he drinks his orange soda. jaren immediately spits out the liquid when brock says it, causing brian to snort.

"john and i aren't a thing," jaren softly says, pulling his legs up to his chest and wrapping his small arms around himself.

"you sound sad about it," brian mumbles, noticing that john is walking back into the room, "jaren, just tell him."

"tell who?" craig shouts, shocking the three boys on the sofa. the therapist lightly apologizes, moving back and wrapping his arms around tyler's shoulders.

"craig, tyler! what are you guys doing here?" jaren asks, remembering that he forgot to invite them. he catches john's smirk and looks up.

"i did. i knew that you would want them here and that you forgot to put them on your list, so i invited them myself," john laughs, pulling the two older boys further into the room.

jaren turns back to brian and brock, who only smirk at the boy's pink cheeks. they pull jaren into the kitchen, where everyone else is talking.

"well i'm just saying that if you kill a human, it's not- oh hi guys!" craig yells, staring at the three boys walking in.

brian and brock give a small wave, quickly moving their way to the table to grab some punch. jaren watches them, feeling a presence come behind him and throw their head on his shoulder.

"john, you can't be tired already," jaren whispers, turning around to look at the boy's face.

"but i am," john pouts, leaning into jaren's shoulder and letting his body go slack for a second.

"ok well stop being tired then," jaren says, pushing away from the boy and going to the snack table.

"you seem happier," craig laughs, coming up behind the boy with a smile. jaren turns around, jumping up on the counter and sitting down on it.

"yea," jaren smiles, swinging his legs back and forth, "just a little though."

"a little my ass," craig snorts, "he really does make you happy, doesn't he?"

jaren looks up at john to already see the boy staring at him from across the room. jaren lets himself admire john for a couple more seconds before turning back to craig.

"yea he does," jaren mumbles, running his hand through a small part of his hair. craig looks at the boy, seeing how different he has gotten in two months. the boy who used to be scared to do anything was now going to graduate in a month.

"that's great, smits," craig sighs, walking away from the boy before getting pulled back.

"i think i'm in love, craig."

🧸

already nine chapters in? heck yea

song : doesn't matter by gallant (rynx remix)