ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ sɪx

26 | I GUESS THAT PEOPLE LIKE US DON'T DESERVE TO BE HAPPY

"jaren, we need to go or we are going to be late," john states, pulling jaren away from the bedroom and into the living room.

"i really don't want to go, john. i'm scared that something bad is going to happen," jaren pouts, staring off into the distance. john pushes his head, catching his lips in a soft kiss.

"i won't let anything bad happen to you, flower boy. i just need you to trust me," john whispers, messing up the top of jaren's hair. jaren rolls his eyes, smiling as he fixes his hair and tugs at the hem of his jeans.

"you don't need to make everything sweet and pitiful, john," jaren says, frowning at his boyfriend, "i know that i can take care of myself, even if i feel like something is still going to turn out bad."

they walk out of the house together, holding hands tightly and intertwining their fingers. john smiles at his boyfriend, feeling grateful for him. jaren smiles back at john, knowing that this was the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. the engagement ring bounces in john's pocket when he takes his steps.

yet, john never knew that everything would end like this.

👻

within the first minute, jaren loses john. he hates parties with a passion. he doesn't like seeing drunk people grind up on each other and crazy tricks that eventually end up with the police getting called. it's not like he doesn't like to have fun; he just doesn't like getting in trouble while having dangerous fun.

jaren sees tequila on the nearest table, smiling to himself as he smells the liquid. he remembers when john told him that his lips were intoxicating on their second date. he described them as tequila-like and explained how he definitely craved the taste of his lips.

he looks at the glass, noticing that the boy behind the bar is working with these liquids. he walks up, smiling at the bartender behind the stand.

"can i get a tequila?" jaren asks, trying to read the man's name tag from behind the counter, "eli?"

"yep, i'll get one for you, jaren," eli smiles, knowing jaren from john's speech at graduation. jaren slightly blushes, turning around when he feels a light brush on his shoulder.

"i'll get one of the same," anthony says, smirking at jaren. jaren looks at him with fear, turning back to eli for help. yet, the boy is too busy making drinks for anyone else to realize.

"anthony, leave me the fuck alone," jaren hisses, looking back at his ex-boyfriend with a harsh look. anthony looks at him, brushing a piece of hair away from jaren's face with a soft smile.

"we both know that you still love me. just leave john and we can totally go back to my place," anthony whispers, grabbing his drink and thanking eli with a devious smile.

anthony grabs jaren, pulling him away from the crowd and pushing him against the nearest wall. jaren tries to push away from the boy; he needs to do everything to try to stop this from happening.

the lips land on his mouth and he can't do anything to push the boy away. his hold is too strong and anthony quickly forces him to kiss back. the boy pulls away, laughing as he sees john run from the room.

"oh, how the tables have turned, jaren."

👻

john doesn't even know where he is running to. he wants to scream; he wants to destroy everything around him in a fit of rage. he wants to throw a tantrum and smash everything he loves in his hand.

"john, please listen to me," jaren yells as john falls to the ground with tears soaking his face, "he kissed me; he wanted to get back at me for breaking up with him two years ago."

"it seemed like you were really enjoying that kiss, jaren. i bet you were so glad that you got to go to this party tonight. the only reason you thought everything was going to go wrong was because he was going to be here," john shouts, waterfalls running down his face and catching in his v-neck shirt. he grabs jaren's wrist, not holding it tight but not holding it softly either.

"john, that's not it!" jaren says, trying to stop the tears from dripping from his own eyes. he has to stay strong right now in this relationship. he has to prove that none of this is his fault.

"fuck you, jaren. i never should have thought that i could have a happy ending. players like me don't deserve to be happy. we're just the villains in the story," john spits, laughing deliriously to himself through all his tears. he smiles at jaren, putting a single bluebell behind the boy's ear and in his hair.

"john, please don't go," jaren whispers, laying out his whole heart for the boy. he tries to stop the tears even after they continue to drip down his face and onto the cold, hard concrete.

"no, i'm glad you're happy with him," john smiles, pulling himself away from his boyfriend, "we're done, jaren. we should've never bet on something that could have only ended in catastrophe. i just hope it was worth playing with my heart this entire time."

"john, no!" jaren yells but john is already sprinting away. tears stream down his cheeks, pushing his feet to keep running. he can't stop himself from sprinting; he needs to go.

he suddenly stops, taking the red box out of his pocket. he opens it, letting his tears drip on the silver ring poking out of the cushion. he takes it out, looking at it with such a depressing look.

the engagement ring smashes against the concrete.

👻

let me clarify that i love anthony with all my heart and would never want him to do anything like this. i just needed a character and anthony was the only one without a ship. sorry anthony :c

song: idk love by jeremy zucker