ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ fᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

14 | ALL BETS MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE END OF THE YEAR

graduation is creeping up on both boys. jaren knows that he has always wanted to leave but something about john now makes him want to stay. he yearns to be close to the boy at every moment.

"jaren, are you okay?" brian asks, walking behind his friend with a frown. brock stands closely to brian, smiling at jaren.

"yea, why wouldn't i be?" jaren mumbles, turning around to stare at his best friends. he somewhat misses when it was just them three together but he loves john nonetheless.

"evan and jonathan told us about the bet," brock says softly, moving closer to jaren and wrapping his arm around his shoulders. jaren pushes the arm off his shoulders and moves away from brock and brian.

"i feel like every time we talk, it's only about how bad my relationship is for me," jaren accuses, looking at his friends with hurt plaguing his eyes.

jaren catches john's eyes in the hallway but they're gone before he can say or shout anything. he saw someone dragging the boy across the school but jaren knows that it's just probably his sister or one of her friends.

"we're only trying to protect you smit," brian calmly states, moving closer to jaren.

"yea, well you're doing a pretty shit job at that," jaren laughs, beginning to walk off until he's pulled back by brock.

"listen jaren, i know you two are still dating. it's just kinda hard to know that your best friend is completely fine with dating a boy who only entered the relationship because of a bet. how the hell can you still be with him?" brock asks, trying to crack his friend's code.

"john's the only one who's been there for me for the past month. ever since my mom's died, he's been the only one who has actually cared enough to take me in," jaren shouts, feeling eyes land on him from all around the hallway. he wants to scream; he wants to punch everything in sight and then just stop living.

brock and brian go quiet. they both know what they need to say yet they can't manage to get the words out. something's holding them back and they both know that it's true.

"jaren, come on," brock whispers, trying to keep jaren close to him, "we both know this isn't good for you."

"you don't even know what's good for me at this point brock," jaren turns around, beginning to walk away from the couple, "stop fucking pretending like you do and just go have fun with brian."

brock doesn't even know why he tries at this point.

🔅

evan sits at the lunch table, watching jon pace around the cafeteria with a nervous look. it had already been twenty minutes and john still hadn't shown up to lunch.

"do you think he hates us because of what we did?" jon turns around to look at jaren, trying to figure out where the other boy could possibly be.

"probably. he definitely trusted you to keep the bet a secret," brian says, walking over to evan and plopping down next to him at the table. brian gives a look to jaren, who immediately turns away.

"where the hell is brock? why are both of our friends just missing today?" evan asks, swinging his feet to the outside of the table and looking at jonathan with a soft smile.

"brock doesn't want to eat with us today so he went into the library," brian states, turning to eat his chicken strips with gravy on the side.

"why wouldn't he want to sit with us?" jon questions, moving to sit on evan's lap. the boy wraps his arms around his blue-eyed boyfriend and slowly smiles.

"because," brian says, turning to stare directly at jaren, "stuff happened."

jaren gets up, moving away from the table and walking towards the cafeteria doors. he hears yelling coming from behind him but he merely flips everyone off and walks through the hallways. he really needs to find john at this point.

after searching for twenty minutes, jaren still can't find john. he heads to the bathroom and begins to wipe at his teary eyes, picking up immense amounts of tissues. why can't his friends just let his relationship be for once in his life?

his eyes finally notice the blue flower in the vase right in front of him and it makes him want to break all the glass. in the cup, there was a singular bluebell sticking up straight and jaren couldn't help but take it out and stare at it. the bathroom door suddenly opens, shocking jaren and making him jump and drop the flower. when he notices the blonde boy staring at him, his heart immediately comes back to life.

"jaren? why aren't you at lunch?" john asks, moving closer to his small and adorable boyfriend. he looks around at the baby blue and pearly white bathroom and hugs his boyfriend.

"i could ask you the same question," jaren says, sniffling and snuggling closer into john. john's body is warm, and it makes jaren feel better about his life at the moment.

"i was busy?" john mumbles, wrapping his arms around jaren's body and picking him up. jaren squeals, quickly wrapping his arms and legs around his boyfriend's neck and waist.

"what the fuck are you doing, angel!?" jaren shouts, staring at john with bewilderment and shock. john only chuckles, leaning into his boyfriend. jaren does the same, bumping his nose into john's.

"trying to kiss you, flower boy," john whispers, smashing his lips onto jaren's and waiting for the other boy to respond to the action. jaren soon does, kissing him deeper than ever before.

yet all john can taste is regret and guilt.

🔅

thanks for reading another chapter!! also would like to dedicate this one to my friend who is currently dying of a sickness:
1-800-SATANS

song: red lights by tiesto