ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ fɪfᴛᴇᴇɴ

15 | I WAS INTOXICATED WITH HIS LOVE YET HE WAS INTOXICATED WITH THE ASPECT OF MINE

he sits at the table, waiting for jaren to arrive. jaren is never usually this late so john is sort of perplexed. where the hell is his boyfriend and why are people talking about him on the other side of the room?

john turns around, seeing a couple girls in the corner of the room. he can't remember when they got there and really doesn't care about what they are doing. he pulls out his vape pen and twists it around in his hand.

"where's your boyfriend?" indigo says behind him, causing john to turn around. she was in his biology class last year and was super kind. he smiles at her, gesturing to the seat next to him.

"i don't know; he was supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago," john sighs, catching the gaze of the other girl before she turns away. a red tint falls on her face and she looks back at her friends.

"john, i like you," indigo bursts out, trying to keep her eyes on john, "i know you have a reputation to keep up so i understand if you don't like me back."

she's right. john definitely does have a reputation to keep up, and jaren still hadn't shown up.

"hey, you want to go do something?" john says, standing up and holding out his hand. she smiles, taking it and nodding to the other boy.

he pulls her around the school, weaving his way through students and teachers. soon, he and jaren make eye contact in the hallway while he's yelling at brock and brian. john feels an enormous amount of guilt in his chest as he leads the girl to the empty classroom.

"indigo, i don't-" he begins but he's immediately cut off by lips slamming onto his. he admits that he actually likes it but knows that everything he is doing is wrong. just as long as someone doesn't see he should be good.

just as he thinks that, he hears a loud gasp coming from the back of the classroom. he pulls back, seeing a confused brock running away from the door.

john looks at indigo, and quickly runs away. he goes to the first place he can think of. he really just needs some peace and quiet in the bathroom.

yet the only thing he hears is jaren's sobs.

🚿

jaren and john make their way back to the lunch table with their fingers linked. jaren laughs at one of john's jokes, making eye contact with anthony brown from across the cafeteria. he quickens his steps, pulling john along with him to the lunch table.

"hey everyone!" jaren yells but the rest of the lunch table stays quiet. brock looks up at jaren, trying to say something back.

"guys are you okay?" john asks, looking at all the boys in their small group. he feels brock's angry glare without even having to look at him.

"yea, of course we are," brock spits out, standing up from the table, "how are you john?"

"i'm fine," john says, gripping onto the cafeteria table and trying not to let his anger consume him. he sits down in a seat, causing jaren to follow suit.

the table goes quiet as brock makes his way back to his seat, plopping down on the red chair. brian whispers something to brock, causing brock to smack him away. brock softly sighs, quietly whispering an apology and kissing his boyfriend's red cheek.

"so, um, did you guys hear about the new game coming out?" evan asks, facing all of his friends, "i heard that it's supposed to be called garry's mod."

"not the time, evan," jonathan mumbles, grabbing his boyfriend and pulling him away from the table. jon really didn't want evan to be near the cafeteria when all the shit went down.

jonathan was definitely right when he decided to take evan away. immediately as he pulled the boy away, he heard brock's voice.

"so, john, have you and indigo been friends for a while?" brock asks, giving a sweet but also hostile smile. brian tries to pull him away from the table, but brock merely flicks him up.

john looks up, noticing how confused jaren looks. why the fuck did brock have to bring it up when the other boy was there? they could have just worked it out without anyone having to see.

"yea, we had chemistry last year," john calmly says, trying to play everything off. he hates when the player part of his body takes control and makes him act like this. john grabs onto jaren's hand, squeezing it as hard as he can manage.

"seems like you both have chemistry this year too," brock laughs, ignoring brian's pleas to stop. brian looks over at john, noticing the fear in the boy's eyes. he didn't want john to get away with cheating, but this definitely wasn't the way to address the issue.

"brock, please stop," brian begs, reaching out and grabbing the boy's hand. brock looks down at his boyfriend, slowly noticing all the eyes that had fallen onto their table. he immediately gulps but then pulls away from brian. it's his job to protect jaren and he's not letting anyone stop him from completing that task.

"john, what the hell is he talking about?" jaren whispers, standing up from the table with a small frown. john reaches out, pulling him back.

"he's talking about nothing, flower boy," john nervously says, rubbing jaren's back until he hears brock's voice again.

"oh my god, you're unbelievable! first you cheat on him and then you lie straight to his face?" brock spits, letting the words rush out like a stream, "ryan was right when he said that players never change."

jaren rips away from john, tears forming in his eyes. john tries to apologize; he tries to say something at least. yet no words flow out and he's stuck staring at jaren's helpless eyes as he whispers.

"you cheated on me?"

🚿

italics are always going to be flashbacks. also, if you didn't know, this book is split into two parts. next chapter is the last one before part two yay!!

also two uploads in two days?? what's this?? yea just letting you guys know that i'll be getting back into every three days now so chapter 16 will be out on saturday!!

song: broken by lovelytheband