2| Goosebumps

Chapter Two: Goosebumps

Phoebe had never heard of Black Island before, but once she laid her eyes on it, she wished she never had.

It looked murky, scary. It was covered in trees that drooped, making the whole Island look depressing. The tall grass was dying, the few flowers within the yellow grass were wilting, and it all looked so lifeless and sad.

The sight made Phoebe frown deeply when the realization that she would have to stay there hit her. Hard.

She wanted to cry and scream, but she didn't. She just sat there, silent, as the bus-boat came to a stop at a small port.

She heard the doors open, which caused her anxiety to spike up and she sank further into her seat. She didn't want to move, but then she saw the mystery boy with brown hair stand up. He looked at her and gave her a reassuring smile.

Her heart rate slowed and she felt less anxious until Mason came into view. He walked past her seat without a single glance in her direction.

She hated him for ruining her high school experience, although they had never even talked face-to-face. All he did was spread rumors from afar and watched as the rumors grew and grew until she was the outcast.

She waited until Mason was a few rows forward before looking up. She looked over and, to her surprise, the brown-haired boy stood there, offering his hand.

Phoebe hesitantly put her hand over his and he pulled her to her feet. He let go of her hand once she stood.

"I'm Steven, by the way," he said with the same small smile from before.

"Phoebe," she said in a small, quiet tone.

He saw the worry in her eyes and spoke comfortingly, "I know that this is all a big shock, but if you're careful, you will be able to make it out of here."

Phoebe snapped her head up to look at him, "What do you mean 'Make it out'?"

"I'll explain everything later, but for now, just do what they tell you and don't do anything that will make them suspicious, okay?"

"Who's them?" she asked, confused but feeling a bit more at ease.

"They-"

"Hey!" the bus driver yelled to them, "Hurry up!"

Steven looked back at her and nodded. She stepped out from her seat and started to walk in front of him.

She walked down the few steps into the dock. Steven stayed next to her as they were escorted into the forest.

The soft, cool wind made goosebumps rise on Phoebe's skin, but she was too frightened to move or acknowledge the cold. Steven and Phoebe hurried to catch up with the others as they continued to walk.