4| The First Day

Chapter 4: The First Day?

Phoebe's heart began to race and her palms started to sweat.

First day of training...

She kept repeating it in her head, hoping and praying that she heard them wrong.

If she was feeling anything more than fear, it would have been confusion. She wanted to know why they brought the exam failures to an isolated island to...train. Not to train their brains but their bodies and physical skills. Also, one more thought rang through her head.

Where are the students that came years before them?-

"Let's go!" one of the guards said loudly, making Phoebe jump out of her thoughts and walk with the other girls towards the door.

Phoebe glanced behind her at the fighting book that she set on the bedside table. She sighed, frustrated, but determined to clear up her confusion.

Her hand went up to one of her french braids and wrapped in around her finger. A nervous habit. But once she did, the thoughts of her mother pulling her hair back just that morning for her flooded her mind.

She wanted to see her again but the thought of never going back terrified her.

The guards guided the girls down a long hallway while Phoebe's thoughts filled her brain. They soon met with the boys as they walked towards them. Once Phoebe saw Steven looking at her, she smiled at him. She tried to make it look genuine but it came out pained. The smile held a question to it, asking where they were going.

He held up his pointer finger, telling her to wait.

They continued to walk a short distance until they were met by a big, glamorous, double door.

Phoebe's eyes widened at the intricate designs on the edge of the door and the two golden door knobs.

A guard went to each door and opened them, revealing a large room.

Phoebe gasped at the setting and turned to Steven, who was also admiring the room.

It was massive with equipment scattered everywhere but still looked organized. On one side of the room were cabinets and tables of weapons from knives, swords, spears, bows, and many more. On another side were targets and dummies galore.

The sight made Phoebe's stomach turn as she swallowed the lump in her throat. The question once again came to her mind.

What does fighting have to do with anything?

Her thoughts were interrupted by another door swinging open. It revealed Joi. Phoebe hadn't seen her since dinner the day before. She hadn't done anything to her yet but Phoebe still didn't trust her. She didn't trust anyone on the island except Steven-even though she didn't know him, she trusted him.

"Hello, kids!" Joi said loudly, back to her fake enthusiastic voice.

That was another reason why Phoebe didn't trust her. Her voice was fake, Steven's wasn't. That was how she made friends in Treedon. She chose between the fake ones and real ones. It was as simple yet as complicated as that.

The 10 kids didn't say a word. Some may have nodded their heads in her direction, but Phoebe was too confused and nervous to move.

"So, should we get started?" she asked, knowing full well that no one would respond. No one would know what to say given the current circumstances.

"I'm sure you're all wondering what we will be starting today but I assure you that you all will adjust quickly," She continued.

Phoebe looked at Steven again who's eyes were on Joi, almost glaring. She quickly moved her gaze back to Joi as she continued to speak.

"As you may have noticed, a fighting textbook is in every one of your bedside tables. That will come in handy." She walked over to an open cabinet containing a large amount of daggers. She gently gripped one by the handle and slid it off the shelf, "today, we will focus on the knife-how to throw one, how it's made and the different parts."

Phoebe's eyes were wide at this point but she wouldn't speak, couldn't.

She couldn't wrap her mind around the thought of actually having to use one of those things.

Why are they teaching us this kind of thing? How does failing an exam relate to fighting?

"Your schedule will be an early morning training that includes a new subject, then a workout. The subject for today is the dagger..."

As she continued to speak about the small knife, Phoebe was surprised to know such a small, simple item like that would sound so intricate. But she kept listening to every word Joi said and kept jamming the information into her brain.

Joi's explanation finally came to and end and she sighed, "Anyone want to try to throw one?"

The students all looked around for several awkward moments before a shy hand went up.

"Oh, Abigail, right?" Joi said, motioning for her to come closer to the knife, "Come on. The target is right over here."

Abi walked forward reluctantly and gripped the leather handle. By the look on her face, it was obvious to Phoebe that the way it fit in Abi's hand was unnatural. Phoebe took a deep breath but followed Joi to the target.

The target wasn't what she was expecting. A thick, circular piece of wood was hung up on the wall next to several others just like it. They all had many holes in them including some holes beside the wood where people had missed the target. Phoebe shuddered as a chill ran through her body but she forced her body to remain looking forward.

Joi instructed her to stand a good ten feet from the target. Abi visibly gulped while putting on a brave face as she lifted the dagger slightly. She was about to throw it when Joi's voice sliced through the silent, tension filled room.

"Remember to rest your thumb on top," she instructed. Abi obeyed and readied herself again. Joi nodded in her direction while folding her arms to watch her intently.

Abi pressed her lips in a firm line before throwing the knife the way Joi directed us to. Phoebe watched as the weapon sliced through the air and came to an abrupt stop, making yet another hole in the thick piece of wood.

 Phoebe watched as the weapon sliced through the air and came to an abrupt stop, making yet another hole in the thick piece of wood