9| "I'm Used To You Two Fighting."

Chapter 9: "I'm Used To You Two Fighting

Chapter 9: "I'm Used To You Two Fighting."

     Seeing his sister for the first time in weeks was overwhelming him with happiness, relief, and a little bit of sadness. She had bags under her eyes and the tired way she held herself up were obvious signs of lack of sleep.

“Get in here, Steven,” his sister, Trista, bobbed her head, motioning him inside, “before someone sees.”

Steven hurried inside as Trista shut and locked the door. Once he entered, he heard a pair of little feet run up to him. He turned around to see his little sister, arms wide open, run to him and jump into his arms.

“Stevie!” she squealed happily, “You’re back!”

Steven laughed at her nickname for him and squeezed her little body in his arms, “Yeah, Molly, I came to see you.”

“Yay!” she screamed in his ear, making him jerk away slightly. The small 10-year-old wiggled out from his embrace and ran off into the second room of their little ‘apartment’ yelling, “I’ll go get Tyler!”

Steven chuckled and turned back to his older sister. She was leaning against the door, arms crossed, studying her siblings.

“What’s up, little bro?” she said.

“What?” he asked, awkwardly, “Can’t I just come and visit my siblings?” He smiled coyly.

Trista pinched her lips, “You would never risk sneaking down here without a good explanation. Joi never allows anyone down here and if she found out you come here sometimes, she’ll think something’s up.”

“Well…” he muttered quietly, unintelligible, “maybe something is up…”

Trista pushed herself off the wall, “Come again?”

Steven sighed and said louder, “I told someone about everything, okay?”

Trista’s eyes widened, “Seriously?”

Steven nodded, scratching the back of his neck, “But we can trust them. I promise. I have spent the past three weeks of training with her and she was unsure and innocent. Really smart too. She was scared and needed answers. I needed to tell someone and she needed someone to tell her. I was a win win.” He shrugged, looking away.

“Did you tell her about us?” she asked, staring him in the eye.

“No, I didn’t want to put you guys in danger too. But-”

“Steven, this isn’t good. This girl is probably looking for you to tell her more information. If she finds us with you, we’re dead because Joi will find out. She already knows that you told Phoebe. If this all keeps going, it will be out of our hands. Joi will know everything and send all of those kids straight to the Coast without warning. Do you want that?”