16| "You Should Leave"

Chapter 16: "You Should Leave"

Phoebe was a mess.

She woke up with a jolt, causing the students huddled close to her to jump back, alarmed. She looked around frantically, frightened and searching for something.

    Phoebe's scared eyes met with Mason's hand and she gripped it quickly, tightly. He looked at her in surprise but quickly relaxed and reluctantly sat on the bed beside her. He looked up at Steven questioningly. He shrugged and tried to approach Phoebe.

    Her eyes were still wide with fear, her arms were shaking, and her face pale.

    "Phoebe," Steven said carefully. He put his hand on her shoulder comfortingly, but the second he made contact, she flinched away violently, as if he had stung her. She squeezed Mason's hand tighter.

    "Hey, it's okay," Mason said softly to Phoebe before giving Steven a look to back off.

    Steven stepped back slowly as Mason turned back to the shaking Phoebe.

    "Phoebe," Mason continued. Her head shot up to look at him and he smiled warmly. Her face didn't change from the fearful one and Mason sighed, "Can you tell me what's wrong?"

    Steven and Abi stood several steps away. Abi was biting her thumbnail nervously as Steven stared at Phoebe, with confusion and some hurt in his eyes.

    Mason looked at Phoebe, pleading with her with his eyes, "C'mon, Phoebe. Please?"

    "H-He was in m-my d-dream..." a tear slid down her cheek before she completely broke down.

    Mason took a deep breath, unsure how to handle her, so he just wrapped his arms around her shaking, crying form and hugged her. He softly rocked her back and forth as she cried.

    The room was silent for several minutes, aside from Phoebe's sobs. Abi took in a breath and straightened her hunched shoulders, "Well," she spoke, laughing softly with no humor in her voice, "At least she woke up. You said she would be worse if she woke up later, right?" She turned to Steven and he nodded.

    "Much worse," he muttered, shaking his head.

    They looked back at Phoebe who was now shaking her head violently and muttering things. They couldn't understand her at first but it became louder, more frantic.

    "H-He was there...W-Where did h-he go..." Phoebe cried and hugged Mason tighter.

    "Phoebe," he attempted to pull her away but failed, "Phoebe, who was there?"

    Phoebe lifted her head up and turned around, her face full of fear. Her lip trembled as she lifted her pointer finger and pointed it right in Steven's direction.

    Steven's eyes widened in surprise. He frowned and started to shake his head back and forth. He took a step forward urgently, "Hey, Phoebe, it's fine. I'm not the bad guy-"