23| Forget

Chapter 23: Forget

Chapter 23: Forget

Mason was surprised at first by Phoebe's quick action but he immediately recovered. He put his hand against her cheek before she pulled away from the quick kiss.

Phoebe looked up at Mason as he stared into her eyes, “Sorry,” she laughed softly, “but I just wanted to prove my point.”

“No, no, that’s fine by me,” he laughed. Phoebe smiled and moved closer to him and closed the distance once again. She locked her hands behind his neck and he put his on her waist.

Phoebe let herself forget about her circumstances for a few special moments. She forgot how Joi and the guards were after them. She forgot how they had become warriors in a matter of weeks. And she forgot that she was technically on a boat that could kill her at any moment.

She forgot everything and let herself enjoy the few moments she had with Mason before the terrified screams started.

-------

Joi stood at the docks.

The empty docks.

She stared at the dispersed ships that, at that point, had looked like specks in the ocean. She glared at the closest one, sailing away straight toward the deeper water where the waves were bigger.

Joi could only hope that something happened while the students were sailing on that boat. It was a high probability that the boat wouldn’t last the storm. Even though it wasn’t a massive disaster, the waves could still lead the boat astray.

The Coast still had a chance to defeat Treedon. As long as those students didn’t reach Treedon, the plan would be carried out. Just not as smoothly as they wanted, and with 10 less warriors.

Joi screamed and punched the object closest to her, a dock post, in anger.

Not matter what, Joi would not let those kids get away with ruining the plan that had gone perfectly the past 20 years.

She vowed that the Coast would come out victorious and she wouldn't go back on it.

-------

Once Phoebe heard the screams coming from the back of the boat, everything came back to her. She could forget about everything for only a few moments with Mason but that quickly ended.

Phoebe stepped away from him and ran to where the screams came from. She saw Abi leaning over the edge yelling something incoherent. Phoebe ran up to her and pulled on her arm. Abi’s face showed sheer terror and she tried pulling her arm from Phoebe who just tightened her grip.

“Abi, hey, Abi,” Phoebe tried calming her down but she was freaking out and probably couldn’t hear a thing she was saying, “What’s wrong?”

Abi pointed towards the end of the boat, “I-It’s Brady! H-He fell in!”

Phoebe’s eyes widened and she looked over her shoulder and saw Steven in the control room, giving her a questioningly look. Phoebe then noticed Mason had followed her over to Abi so she turned to him and said, “Go tell Steven to stop the ship.”

Mason was about to protest but she had already turned around to look over the edge of the ship. Mason turned and went straight to the control room.

Phoebe peered over the edge carefully. They were about to reach the deepest part of the storm and the waves were only going to get worse until they passed it.

She finally saw a blonde head poke out of the water and arms flailing in the air.

“Brady!” Phoebe screamed. Abi came up beside her again, frantically looking for him before a wave came over his head and washed him farther away.

Phoebe felt the boat coming to a stop as she hurried to find something to help Brady. Her breathing became heavy and she couldn’t see clearly in the rain and darkened sky.

There were several bins against the wall of the ship and she ran to them, almost slipping on the wet, wooden floor. She slammed the first bin open, only finding several water bottles and canned food.

The second bin wasn’t any better but the 3rd bin was a gift from heaven.

     Bright orange life jackets filled the container. She grabbed and looked in the final bin where all kinds of supplies were stuffed. She tore different things out until she came across a huge roll of thick rope. She breathed in relief and smiled before taking off in Abi’s direction.

     “Abi!” she yelled, “I need you to tie this rope to the railing. Now!” She gave one end of the long rope to Abi and Phoebe started to wrap the other through one of the loops in the life jacket.

     By this time, all the other students came running with frightened, questioning faces. Steven and Mason ran up to them last and once they saw what Phoebe was doing, their eyes widened.

Before they could stop her, Phoebe made sure that each end of the rope was connected to the railing and her life jacket before slipping it on, clipping it together, and jumping into the stormy waves.

She waited for the water to envelop her as she closed her eyes and thought about what she just did. The conversation she had with Mason had really impacted her.

She opened her eyes right before she felt the coldness of the water. She quickly swam back to the top only to be trampled by a wave. She went under and let out a huge puff of air in surprise. She swam back to the top and frantically searched for Brady. She was breathing hard, trying to fill her lungs with the sweet air that could be taken from her any second.

For a moment, she saw Brady’s flailing arms and she instantly swam towards him. Her limbs were numb from the constant rain and now the freezing ocean water. She licked her chapped, salty lips and kept swimming. She got closer to Brady but before she could grab him, a bigger wave pulled both of them under and she swallowed a mouthful of salty water.

She shook her head, keeping herself awake and ignoring her oncoming headache, and continued her frantic search for Brady. The cloudy water only allowed her to see a few feet in front of her and the rope would eventually run out if she went too far.

Her eyes were burning and her eyes felt like they would burst but she kept searching until she came across a limp Brady floating in the rough water. She grabbed his arm before another wave could pull them apart.

Phoebe used her last bit of strength to pull Brady up to the surface of the water.