13| Perfect

Chapter 13: Perfect

Chapter 13: Perfect

Steven continued his walk to the girls’ dorm, even though it was before the morning alarm. He had to speak with Phoebe.

They finally had something to work with.

He walked quickly, silently. The early morning halls of the castle were already lit up for the day but no one was up--not even Joi. He approached the entrance and looked down the halls once more before knocking quietly on the door.

He could only hope that they had quit locking the doors at night. They usually did by this time because the students got used to everything. They knew that there was no way out.

To his relief, seconds later, someone frantically twisted the doorknob and pushed the the door open.

It was Abigail.

She looked a mess from being asleep but her eyes were wide with worry. She started mumbling things, trying to catch her breath to explain, but couldn't.

“Whoa, whoa,” Steven grabbed her shoulders to calm her down. She was breathing heavily and Steven couldn’t understand what she was trying to say, “Calm down, Abi. Talk to me.”

Abigail motioned to the inside of the room where Phoebe’s bed was. She looked like she was asleep but uncomfortable and scared. Steven looked at Abi in confusion.

“S-She was screaming and it woke me up,” she pointed to a bed near Phoebe’s. Steven assumed that is was hers, “I tried waking her up. She stopped screaming, like her nightmare stopped, but she wouldn't wake up. I don’t know what happened. It scared me.”

Steven’s eyes widened and he quickly walked towards Phoebe. He touched her shoulders, shaking her softly. She wouldn’t budge. Her face changed but her eyes wouldn’t open.

Weird.

He scratched the back of his neck, thinking, “Well...um...did she have anything to eat yesterday?”

“I thought she was here the entire day. We bring her some food from dinner every day since she can’t leave here without Joi knowing she escaped, but that wouldn't have done anything.” She shrugged, still worried and disheveled.

“Well, maybe she will wake up in time. She’s been really stressed the past few days. Something is bound to happen to-” he stopped when something caught his eye.

An empty water bottle.

He hurried to pick up the plastic and investigate it. It didn’t have a lid and there was still a little bit of water at the bottom and sticking to the sides. She might have hit it off the table when she was having her nightmare. He brought it closer to his face and that’s when he caught a slight scent of something. It had a unique smell: salt and rose petals.

Steven knew that smell. He hated that smell.

He crushed the bottle in his hand and threw it in the small garbage can. He glared at the floor as he hurried to the door but Abi stopped him, “What is it? What happened?”