Confrontation

A/N:
Here start my L oneshots! Please
note that even though the 'chapters' are supposed to be oneshots and can be read as such, all of them in order will (as I'm planning it) make sense as a whole too x
note: '~' is your name

———————————————————————

It was the end of March. I could hear the vivid sound of birds eagerly chirping in the distance.

The sound of life. Ironic, isn't it?

Lifting my head to look at the sky, I slightly moved the brim of the hat I was wearing.

It was such a beautiful day!
On such a sunny day, I would start to investigate a far less beautiful case - another serial murder case, a case so brutal that it had caught the attention of several countries.
'Serial murder case' however is not completely correct.
The interesting, yet terrifying aspect that regards it is the lack of corpses. Whereas serial killers murder their victims, this one fell out of the category by merely paralysing them.
By cutting out their tongues, by deafening them, blinding them, by taking their ability to move. This criminal did not murder his victims, he instead chose to murder their ability to communicate with the outside world instead - a truly horrible case.

Even though I had been an agent for a few years and my deduction skills were said to be excellent, this was the first huge case I would be working on.

The proof?
The proof for my supposed talent was that I would be working for the most intelligent detective the world had ever known - the master detective that had solved every case he had ever looked upon - who was only known as L.

The first contact with him had been such a complicated matter - L never showed his face to the public after all, and his identity was top secret.

All I had received had been a letter with vague instructions - a few days later, a suppressed number had called and given me more instructions on the first meeting which I had been allowed to note as they were hints regarding the place I would find L's confidants in. Unfortunately, I had not been able to deduce much from the call's acoustics because the voice of the caller had been strongly distorted.

After searching the note of that information in my bag, I took a look at it again while making sure that no one was looking at it.
Hm... it surely must be here somewhere. Rōzu café... I have never been to Tokyo before, it'd be the best to ask someone nearby...

With that thought in my mind, I looked around.  The area I was in now was a small park surrounded by a white brick fence.
Immediately, there was a man who caught my eye. Nearly everyone around looked so ordinary - but he looked as if he was out of another world. The strange man stood out of the crowd by sitting on a bench by the trees with his knees pulled up towards his chest and his shoes in front of him. Furthermore, the man looked severely sleep deprived - not only was he extremely pale, but the dark bags beneath his eyes further indicated severe insomnia. To normal people, he would have seemed odd and perhaps even deterring, but to me, he seemed interesting in such a positive way, and there was something that drew me to him.
That man must be one of L's confidants.

"Excuse me", I politely asked as I went up to him. "I'm new to Japan and have a meeting at this specific café in a few minutes, would you happen to know where it is?" I carefully showed him the note with "rōzu café" written on it.
As I asked him, a thought suddenly filled my head again. What if rōzu café did not exist? It could simply be a code word, an anagram or a mere test even. I started to believe that L was just testing me, that he might be watching from nearby to see me hurry around, trying to make sense of his message. But no - I had gone through that thought process before and come to the conclusion that it must exist, unless L had falsified countless of internet records. I would find it.
Can't believe I just went through that because of my bad sense of orientation...