Daydream

A/N: This is kind of a crack-fic... it was very fun to write xD enjoy<3
oh and "~" is the reader's name!

———————————————————————

Sigh.
This case didn't ever seem to find its end.

Everyone had been investigating for several months but things just did not seem to add up.

Did I mind? Of course... though at the same time, something distracted me from feeling distressed. Or rather, someone.

It was L.
Of all people here, it would have to be L. No one of the task force itself, no, but the detective leading the investigation, possibly, no, definitely the most intelligent man in the world- who would never fall in love with me- that's who I had to love. And I hated myself for that. Just another crush I would never have a chance with.
Of all people, he seemed to have the least emotions. His cold shell always hid the hints of emotions he had- though sometimes, when he was speaking to me, I could see them. He was always very sweet to me- and that was just one of the many reasons why my stupid heart decided to fall in love with him. We got along so well and were able to deduce so much together- he motivated me so much to be successful that it even seemed to strengthen my skills. Him and I were at a point where we were considered friends, at least- I just wished he would regard it as more than that...

That day was one of those typical days- the days that I felt the distress of no further progress on the case lead to my mind drawing me to other scenarios again. Sometimes, I would start daydreaming and imagine things that would make me really happy and flustered.

I had finished all of my work on that day and did some additional research, so there was nothing L could complain about.

Staring at my computer screen and resting my chin on my hand with my elbow on the desk in front of me, my mind started to drift away- to the most beautiful things.

Immediately, I saw L. Not sitting next to me, slouching on his chair while investigating- but in other situations. I saw us just take a walk through a park filled with cherry trees and then...

L's POV

She was strangely distracted today. Certainly, the progress for this case was surely waiting to make an appearance. But she got distracted more often lately so it wasn't the first time it happened... even so, I didn't suspect it would go into a good direction if I didn't tell her.

Tell her that I could read minds.

I saw her sitting her elbow on the desk in front of us, blankly looking at her computer screen. Her mind started to drift away.

What was this? She was imagining us! In a park, then in a café...

He would be so romantic.
That is what she thinks about me? Again?

I saw her lips curl into a dreamy smile as she closed her eyes in imagination.

Now she was imagining her close to me, with a blanket wrapped around the two of us. I felt my face heat up at the thought.
Was I getting flustered?

Anyhow, I had to interrupt her before it could change... into less innocent scenarios.

Reader's POV

Just cuddling in bed. Feeling his warmth close to my body. Feeling at peace and loved... how wonderful that would be...

"~..."

I jumped up in shock as a serious voice interrupted me from my daydream.
Oh no. Of all people, it had to be the one I had been thinking about...

"I was just inquiring if I could have a word with you. Under four eyes."

My face went white.
Had he... had he noticed somehow? But how?
Then again, the way I had been resting on my desk hadn't been that usual... he was the world's most brilliant detective, after all, it was possibly the easiest thing for him to find out.
But what then? I would be heartbroken if he found out, because there was no way he would ever love me back...

I followed L along to one of the rooms inside the HQ.

Immediately after closing the door behind me, L sat down on one of the chairs in his usual slouching way, looking up at me in calculation.

"~, is there anything you want to tell me?"

I blushed.
"I... uh... do I have to?"

"Hm... then I go first", L replied, lowering his head in thought.

"Well... ~.
I can read minds."

My eyes started to widen as I still progressed his words.
"You're kidding!!"

All those scenarios- had he seen them? Or deduced them from my thoughts?
Going by my feeling, I was constantly thinking about how cute he was- simply already when looking over to him stuffing chocolates into his mouth, I was always thinking how cute and adorable he looked.
But how- how couldn't he have told me before? He HAD to be bluffing! There was no way someone could read minds! But then again, the tone in his voice had indicated that he in fact knew about my thoughts about him...

He shook his head.
"It's your turn now", L reminded me from my thoughts.

Looking at him, I started trying to deduce him. His eyes didn't give away any expression so it was difficult- but at least he didn't seem to be disappointed or angry.

"If you can really read minds, then I cannot hide it anymore anyway, can I", I admitted sadly, lowering my head as I blushed again.

"L, I... I have fallen in love with you."
I sighed.

"L, I'm sorry. I knew what we have would never grow past a friendship because you will never have feelings for me. That's why I never wanted to tell you. I am so sorry. If now, I'm a burden to your investigaton and you can no longer have me work with you, I completely understand. I would be willing to-"
I was suddenly interrupted by L pulling me down to him, smashing his lips onto mine.

"What- WHAT WAS THAT?!", I asked in both shock and flutter, having blushed more than ever before.

"I love you too."

"You... you love me? I... I can't believe it..."

"I'm not a robot, you know. Even I do have feelings", he teased.
"Well then, what do you say about us making all of those dreams reality soon?" A smile suddenly appeared on the man's lips. What a smile...
I could not believe that whereas he was known for his seemingly cold exterior, L had the warmest and most comforting smile I had ever seen...

I nodded.

"And... is there anything else you have been daydreaming about?"