Speechless

Sipping on my cup of coffee, my eyes widened as I inspected one of the surveillance screens.

A young woman was entering the headquarters, cheerfully and energetically making her way to the entrance.

A shiver ran down my spine as I tugged on Light's sleeve, not allowing my eyes to leave the screen out of sight.

"Light... it's her."

"Who?"

"Her. That woman. I met her over a year ago. For a very short while. Seconds only, actually."

"I do not see the problem? If it was that short of a moment, she might have forgotten anyway, Ryuzaki. And even if she remembers you, why do you worry so much about it? You chose her for a reason, she is not going to leak your identity."

"But I haven't forgotten about her.
Do you ever look through someone's eyes, Light?"

"Look through someone's eyes?"

"Yes. Perhaps it only occured to me, however...
I can see a person's personality through their eyes as if it was a window, at least with most people, I can analyse and deduce their thoughts clearly. And when I looked into her eyes, I saw right through her... I have never seen something like that before, Light."

"What do you mean by that?", he sighed. "Are you inferring, that...?"

"Light, I need to liaise with her. She is an excellent investigator, which is why she will be of great help on this case. But I will need to have you act as me, I will speak to her over the computer system."

"How exactly do you mean that, Ryuzaki? You cannot just avoid her by putting up a lie like this! You want me to be L?!"

———————————————————————

-Reader's POV-

What a shame!

Even though L had invited me to work on the Kira case with the task force, he rarely even showed up in person!
L seemed to be a lot younger than I had expected - he appeared to be a 18 year old student whose father was the investigator leading the task force, Soichiro Yagami. For some reason, L had required me to contact him over the computer most of the time which segregated me from the rest of the task force for the majority of the investigation - not really the most pleasant beginning...
Simply that had already lead to my suspicion.

That was not all, however. When speaking over the computer, L intentionally scrambled over his voice, pretending it was for safety reasons.

However, my intuition told me that there was more behind it. Why would he have to distort his voice if I had already heard it? I was certain nearly no one could get into his security system, was he messing with me?

From the beginning, I had already suspected it all to be a fabrication.

———————————————————————

-L's POV-

"~, this is L... again. Let's start sharing our deliberations."

"Yes!"

"First of all, I would like to hear your thoughts about the current Kira. Do not feel pressured and share your thoughts freely, please."

"I am suspecting this Kira to be different to the first two. If however I am wrong, then he has immediately changed his ideals."

I placed a thumb on my lips in fascination.

"Go ahead."

"The first Kira murdered criminals who had already been convicted, rarely has he killed merely alleged criminals and he never murdered criminals who killed a person in negligence. His victims had mostly been inmates who had committed a crime with intention - this Kira however kills everyone he can find, people who killed someone through a car crash, but that is not only the case. I also suspect that this Kira is a lot more interested in money than in the administration of justice - or that he has changed his primary motivation."