Mistletoe

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! x I apologise for the lack of updates, I am studying a lot right now:') I have a lot of oneshots in the works, therefore there is a lot more to come in the New Year once I have the time!🖤
Also this again is orphan!reader like in a lot of my OS!

———————————————————————

Christmas Eve.

All Wammy children had left with Roger. They were in church now, singing Christmas songs cheerfully. L and I could hear the faint singing in the distance- it was utterly beautiful, ethereal even.
This must be what heaven sounds like.

L and I were still decorating the orphanage meticulously, trying to make sure all Wammy children would spend the best Christmas ever that year. Being orphans ourselves, L and I knew how it was to have no family- so we wanted to be that family to the other children.
Fortunately, we had just finished another case too, which allowed us to spend Christmas with everyone peacefully.

Lost in thought, I threw a glance out of the orphanage's window. It was snowing outside in the dark and cheerful night. The faint sound of children singing, the cracking of a fire in the room.
What a beautiful Christmas.

Warmth started to fill my heart. I was able to spend this Christmas with everyone I loved. The Wammy children were like siblings to me, I would protect them at all costs. Roger and Watari were people I had always looked up to, they were like parents to me- and L...
If my heart was a flame, L was the one who made it burn the brightest. All those years ago, we had met as children, and whereas I didn't know about his feelings, I had always truly been in love with him. The Wammy children were constantly joking about it even though they didn't know of this- saying that they wished for us to be a couple. But that would remain a Christmas wish, wouldn't it?

The reflections of the Christmas lights in the windows however began to remind me of the Christmas eves I had spent with my parents when they were still with me. Pain started to replace my former happiness, and to remind me how sad I was actually feeling inside...

A gentle hand on my shoulder awakened me from my thoughts. I turned around and blushed as I looked L in the eyes.

"Are you alright?"

My voice started to brittle as I replied.
"I- I just remembered... the Christmas I spent with them... everything, the lights, the children singing, it sent me back..."

"I am... so sorry.."

I covered my eyes to hide the tears that were falling from my eyes as L wrapped his arms around me. Crying made me uncomfortable, it made me feel weak in front of others even though it was a very human thing to do.
I felt L start to stroke my back softly, remaining that way until I had calmed down.

"L... thank you for being here for me", I said as I pulled back from him.

"It's the least I can do."

I inspected his darkly framed eyes.
"I mean it. L... You must feel so much more unfortunate. That weight on your back, everything you have seen since your childhood... all those criminals, all those murders, the victims. The obligation of always being objective, of not showing emotion... I wish I could lighten that burden. Those bags beneath your eyes, we both know where they come from...", I deliberated.

"You should not worry about any of that. You have a burden to carry as well.
And what about my eye bags? I thought you mentioned finding them cute?"

I giggled. "Well, definitely yes... Like a panda."

"By the way, to cheer up I need us to get some cake!"
How typical of L. This is exactly one of the reasons why I love him...

As I followed him, L suddenly stopped abruptly, nearly making me bump into him.

"What is it?"

L turned to look at me with a hint of pink in his face, pointing towards the ceiling.

A- A mistletoe.

I lowered my eyes to his face again, blushing now too and giggling in nervousness.

"We can't break the law, can we? Not us!"

"The law? I guess not-"

Interrupting L in the middle of his answer, I cupped his face with my hands and gently placed a soft kiss on his lips.
"Hmmm", I hummed as I could feel my eyes turn into hearts. When I reopened them, I discovered L to look at me in shock.

"You... you-"

"Yes?"

L's face started to turn red as he avoided meeting my eyes.

I giggled. "You're so cute!"

"No, but in any way, I'm... glad I was able to cheer you up", L mumbled while scratching his head delightedly. At the same time, the front door got kicked open.

"Yooo, we're back!", a little boy with goggles yelled through the hallways.

"Well, then. Let's have Christmas dinner now, ~. And maybe the children will understand that they will have to wait until tomorrow to open their presents, unlike last year..."

————————————————————————

"Are you... still feeling sad?"

L and I were sitting on his bed when he carefully asked me. Everyone had returned to their rooms after dinner by now, the children would try to fall asleep, impatiently awaiting their presents they would open the next morning.

I tried to surpress my tears while nodding. It was one of those moments when someone asks if you are alright and you simply don't want to talk because you would immediately cry.

"L...", I suddenly clung on to him like a child, burying my face in his chest. "May I stay with you?"

L started to clumsily stroke my back slowly. "Of course, ~. I will always be here for you."

————————————————————————

"L? Can I come in?", I heard a tiny voice say as I was dozing away, perfectly clinging to L's chest.

L replied calmly. "Of course. What's wrong, Near? Did you have another nightmare?"

I opened my eyes and lifted myself up to look at the little, poor sheep.

"Aww Near..."

"I wanted to search for ~ but she was not in her room..."

"Yes, she is staying with me", L replied. "She's still not feeling well."

"Oh it's alright!", I played off. "I'm feeling a bit better now actually. L knows how to take care of me!"

"May I stay with you?", Near shyly asked.
How cute!

"Come here, my little sheep!" Having heard that, Near immediately ran to the bed and jumped on it, dropping between L and me.

L and I threw a tired smile at each other.

"It's just like having parents again", Near suddenly said in mousy voice.

I blushed.
Starting to have mixed feelings, I hesitantly looked over to L who looked just as puzzled with the situation.

On one hand, I was slightly embarrassed since Near saw us as parents. On the other, it made me sad since it reminded me of all of us being orphans again.
However, I wouldn't mind L and me actually being parents one day...

"Do I keep you from sleeping?", the white-haired boy questioned me in a tiny voice.

"Oh no", I smiled. "Actually, you being here with us makes me feel even better!"
I paused and glanced over to L who had been observing me with a smile. I pulled Near closer to me.
"This is the sweetest Christmas present I could ever wish for. My little sheep..."